TN: 2017 K Vintners Syrah The Deal Sundance Vineyard

• 2017 K Vintners Syrah The Deal Sundance Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Wahluke Slope (6/19/2022)
    3 Syrah’s $30 or Under Blind: Wine 1 in a blind tasting of 3 Syrahs in that $25ish price point. This wine showed nothing out of the gate and this will be the review I give for this wine but will update on day 2. Raspberry, mild earth, spice and very simple in nature. Yes I will revisit this wine on day 2 and even later on with air improved but for this pop and pour event only. 88 points
    Day 2: Again why I do the day 2 and 3 thing. Much more open for business and K like. Roasted meats, pepper, dark berries, earth, minerals and black olives. This is a tremendous effort for a $26 bottle but would never guessed this on a pop and pour. 92 points
    Day 3: This is singing! Another day 3 success. Tastes like a baby Cayuse En Chamberlin and that is not an exaggeration. Black olives, tar, funk, minerals, white pepper, roasted meats and earth. LONG finish and complexity off the charts. Buy! 94 points
    Recommendation: This might be the value of the year. The most polarizing transformation of the year. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

The Deal always seems to come through and at such a fantastic price! It’s a no-brainer purchase every year. Cheers!

1 Like

What do you mean by funk in your tasting note?

Steve, are you getting at something?

When I taste many WA State Syrahs and use, “funk,” it’s a catch-all word (for me) that is that olive-meat-soy flavor. Perhaps you’re asking if it’s a flavor versus brett?

Brandon
Yes. The term means different things to different people which why I asked what the reviewer means by it. For some it means bretty (bad if there’s too much). For others a non-brett bacteriological uncleanliness (really bad). For others the nose you alluded to in certain Washington syrahs that I find very attractive.

For me it is about the game, olives and earth elements that are common among some Syrah’s from Washington.

1 Like

I feel the same, funk is a biologic issue outside of the normal winemaking process. Olives, game and meat are savory elements.

Here is a good article from Wine Enthusiast about the Funk of the Rocks District.

Using the word funk in a TN for a great wine that I love is like using the term body odor for the awesomeness of a girlfriend’s/wife lotion/perfume scent. But don’t mind me, what do I know.

1 Like

Problem was that Baron funk was a flaw, not an attribute from the vineyard.

I don’t know go to 5:40 of this Grape Radio Video to see where some of that “funk” might come from! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdw5OGTGhuI&t=464s