TN: 2017 DeNegoce OG No. 07 Pinot Noir, St. Rita Hills

nope, I couldn’t wait.

Fresh off the UPS truck today, decanted for about an hour. Clear, medium ruby in color, this wine has an exuberant nose, with fresh aromas of cherry, rhubarb, sandalwood, and spice. Lifting acidity on the palate, broad and lively, with medium tannins, a bit of earth comes through, and the bright fruit carries through to the medium finish. I’d suggest this wine will age well for the next 5+ years, but I’m impressed at how well it’s drinking right now. This is the real deal, a great Pinot for less than $13 bucks delivered.

I completely agree with everything you said. We have drank through half the case so far.

That’s great to hear. So many of the offers are going to need time.

This is not a question I would normally ask, but given the whole new De Negoce concept, I’ll float it out there:

What would you think this wine would cost or is worth from a conventional winery or retail situation?

Just answer if you want.

Without having tasted these wine and having something like 7 half cases coming, I expect these wines to to like great 9-20 dollar QPR.

I would think easily in the $35-$45 range.

I would put this in the solid $35-40 range

Bryan and Eric,

Thanks for the replies. Would you say “I would affirmatively go buy this at $35-40,” or “That’s probably what the price tag would have been on a retail shelf.”

I think you mean the latter, but just clarifying. Thanks. And I apologize again for this being kind of a vapid question, or at least what would be one in most other circumstances, but I think a lot of people are curious what the level of wines are in these de Negoce bottles.

I get where you’re going with that Chris, and it’s a little difficult to answer, as I recognize my own bias in wanting these wines to show well. I would phrase it like this: If I had purchased this from a mailing list or off the shelf for $40 bucks I would have been happy with that purchase.

Your candor makes the answer much more useful. Thanks, Eric.

Very glad you and Bryan are enjoying these. I have not gotten onto the train, mostly because I’m just not good for those quantities, but it’s a cool project and I hope it works well for all the Berserker buyers.

Im guessing all of the reds should be decanted to show best, since all of them were bottled at most 4-5 months ago. Wise decision to decant for 1hr. Did you take a taste at pop to see the difference between when first opened and the hour decanted?

Not #7, but my only order was the #19 Pinot (https://www.denegoce.com/products/og-n-19-2018-santa-cruz-mountains-pinot-noir-12-bottle-case-summer-hold?_pos=1&_sid=ab6f350cd&_ss=r). Pleasantly surprised with it for $15 all-in. I can leave you one at Viet’s if you’re seeing him soon or drop it off to you. Whichever. [cheers.gif]

Here’s the real question - and one I will post on the other thread:

How many of you would regularly purchase a full case of many if not any wines regardless of price? I think it is an honest question . . .

I just want to put things into perspective if at all possible.

Most folks I know purchase 3-6 bottles max of most of their ‘favorite’ wines and I never hear of them purchasing many by the case - except if they are going to have a party or something. Variety is the spice of life, right?

Cheers.

Chris…I don’t think I would purchase it at $40, but under $30 I would definitely buy it. I do think it’s really young and shows best being open for a day. That being said in a few years it could be a $40 purchase.

When it comes to buying a case of wine my decision is driven by price. I would love to buy a case of $60-80 wine, but I would be divorced really fast :wink:.

This is definitely not a normal purchase for me. I frequently do buy by the case, but not THIS frequently, and given the opportunity I would gladly have purchased half cases of many of these.

The thing is, I think most people are in this to get some high quality daily drinkers / party wines. I’m happy buying a case of Secateurs Chenin Blanc not because of age ability or it being a wine I live, but because its palatable at $14 per bottle. If I can get a decent daily drinking Napa Cab for $18, its totally worth the risk. I haven’t found a Napa Cab under 40 that I like.

So, no, not normally buying cases. But yes, willing to buy a case if the price is right (read: low and decent quality). If it tastes like a $20 Napa cab, I won’t be back, and I’ll serve it/give it as gifts until its gone.

Larry I buy quite a few full cases of wines we drink a lot of at home. Largely Oregon Pinot and Chard. I will buy full cases of single wines from Goodfellow. WV Pinot Noir, RR Chardonnay, WR Blanc, Cameron Dundee hills Pinot & Chard, I Brand Jacks Chard, & Birichino Vin Gris. All of these wines are light and drank often as cocktail wines without food and cost less $25. most less than $20. We’ll drink through most of these within 12 months and often going back for more to drink and some to age. I’ve been trying to age all of these buts its hard to keep my hands off them.

This is largely due to taste and most these are whites. I have 5:1 reds to whites in the cellar but we drink 50:50 so I’ve adjusted buying habits and have no issue pulling the trigger on mixed or whole cases of QPR whites.

Just remembered I went 2 cases deep on Harrington Wines 2018 Mcevoy Ranch Syrah. It was too good at closeout pricing to refuse. One of those was a 1st case off the line for a song.

Sean