TN: 2017 Daniel Bouland Morgon "Delys" Vieilles Vignes - WOW

As I said to my wife, we are drinking 100 year old vines. Planted in the “Roaring 20s”. She profoundly stated, “that’s old”.

Gosh this wine is a stunner.

It’s one of those vin de garde Beaujolais that remain true to their core but take on the scale of a classic Northern Rhone. Aromatics range from dark fruits, wet earth to camp fire. Some spice notes, Christmas cake. Palate is big and meaty but not weighty if that makes sense. Acids are fresh and electric, emitting some red tones. Chewy, chalky finish. Big tannins. I think this wine needs 7-8 years to shed and integrate this structure and allow the complexity of the dense materials to shine through further. It’s all here in one very impressive package for a Beaujolais.

(95 pts.)

13 Likes

I know many wine critics that could take note of this descriptive style to much avail.

Those through 2017 walked right up to the line, ultra-ripe with stunning complexity, but not over the top. Didn’t occur to me to put any away. After that it was too much, more ripe than I could enjoy. Glad to see it is still a stunner.

1 Like

Really nice note. It’s funny: I had a 2017 Jean-Marc Burgaud Côte du Py James a few months ago that also had that “Northern Rhone” scale/profile with big tannins to match, although without obvious weight. And, like with this wine, I thought it needed a good deal more time. Now I want to try this one to compare!

1 Like

Love this Cuvee from Bouland. He made one of the better 09s too, one that will actually age.

1 Like

I could not handle the 18, was over-ripe for me. This one has so much structure.

Nice note but man that wine is black! Just a bad pic?

Don’t rule out the 2021s. The '21 les Delys “1926” I had not too long ago is pretty terrific. That said, I still also love the '19 and '20, and they will drink well for such a long run.

2 Likes

Looks more like a syrah than a gamay

1 Like

People can dismiss all they want based on expectations of color and historic profile, but it’s delicious stuff, and they’re missing out if they close the door on the category because it isn’t the same as it once was.

I;m not dismissing it because of its color. I am dismissing it because it is gamay, even if it doesn’t look like it

There are no Beaujolais in my cellar that have aged as well as the Bouland Delys

4 Likes

This 17 is clearly built that way, but that’s still a pretty profound statement considering Roilette.

1 Like

i’m far from a bojo expert, but this wine in particular has always stood out as exceptional and somewhat region-defining for my tastes. i’ve had magnums with 15+ years on them, and they present as very high end burgundy in their texture. i find it quite singular. the other bouland wines are also excellent, but this one really stands out. the prices - even today - are silly low for what’s in the bottle. and it’s not the cool-kids style of bojo, so no one pushes it.

2 Likes

Do not have any history with this wine type, however just received todays FullPull, 2020 Domaine Anita Fleurie Les Moriers… Looks and sounds within a similar vein?? Thoughts

Hmmm, never even heard of it.

I’m no expert, but different vintage, different producer, and different Beaujolais Cru… No real reason to expect them to be similar other than they use the same type of grape?

Popped another 2017. Gosh this wine is a total stunner. As good as Beaujolais gets. Phillip the Bold is a tool.

This wine has years to run. While it is pretty showy right not it’s also get fantastic structure. Good acids and firm chalky tannins.

1 Like

We need to find a new source.

1 Like

I can see why/how you break a lot of stems…