TN: 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Schmiedt Road (USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi)

Posted from CellarTracker

Just got it yesterday and wondered how it was. Sorry to hear it didn’t perform that well that night. You think a longer decant would improve?

Brian, I’m gonna have to agree with you here. There are many many Bedrocks I love but this (and the Pato) are not among them. In some ways it’s a relief because they take pressure off the FOMO of not buying enough bottles of everything else.

Vintage variation perhaps, I enjoyed the ‘16. The ‘17 not so much.

Edit: this was open for a couple days. My wife had the first couple glasses the previous evening then it went back under cork. It’s had sufficient air.

It’s rare for me because I tend to like everything Morgan makes, but this just didn’t check any of my boxes.

I did open the other Lodi Zin from Bedrock, the 2019 Noma Vineyard one yesterday to see if it was better. Initially it was very rough, I found. Harsh and with a menthol-vibe. But as it sat open in decanter it increasingly became a lot better and by the end quite nice. Today, the morning after, I find it’s probably as accessible as it’s going to be: tea-like tannins that are very upfront, not tons of fruit, edging towards leather and tobacco. I’d say 88-89pts.