TN: 2017 Antoine Sanzay Saumur-Champigny Les Terres Rouges

Sometimes I am guilty of posting a note too fast. This could be one of those cases as the wine was just so open from the get-go and now it seems like it is only getting better. Nevertheless I don’t think there is a risk of ”getting it wrong” at all as it’s just a mighty enjoyable and stylish wine and another success from Sanzay no matter how positively it might develop from here. It has a bit of an autumnal wet leaves thing going on for which it slightly late given there is a full blown 18F winter here. Fortunately we still have electricity as we speak :sweat_smile: I think Sanzay is one or the sure bets in Loire Cabernet Franc moving forward. Their wines will be a staple in my cellar, no doubt.

• 2017 Antoine Sanzay Saumur-Champigny Les Terres Rouges - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (9.12.2022)
    The nose is per the house style very dark toned and smoky but perhaps paradoxically still very bright and as such tremendously attractive. There are notes of sweet dark cherry and capsicum along with earthy and minerally tones. While not lacking any it doesn’t have a markedly fruity feel which I rather like. On the palate it is medium rather than full bodied with gently gripping tannins. There is not a lot of weight here and the fruit is somewhat glossy, making it a very easy-going expression of Cabernet Franc. While there is a capsicum component the fruit is very much ripe (mind you not overripe in any way), making this a rather easy entry to the category. As of now there is not a ton of complexity to the palate but I reckon it is nicely set for further development. As the pricing is fair however I am perfectly happy sipping it as it is, no need to complain whatsoever. After trying a few wines it seems that Sanzay has a very clearly defined style and it is one I quite admire.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Maybe i should try one again… Had a Poyeux years ago, but CF was a bit lost on me back then. Now i am obsessed with La Porte Saint Jean, so that has kinda been my focus when i bought more CF.

1 Like

Maybe! Haven’t Poyeux but I’ve understood it to be a more serious wine demanding some time in the cellar. The two producers certainly seem to have different styles and I enjoy both but the missus was not very appreciative today. Then she is not the biggest CF fan in the world in general, though. Perhaps give the straight Sanzay Saumur-Champigny a go?

1 Like

Yeah maybe it is a good idea to not go with a young Poyeux again to get a sense of the style.

My wife hates Cabernet Franc… Syrah even more, thinks it smells and tastes rotten. So i can relate :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh no, not Syrah too! Actually it is pretty much the same for my gf, she hates young Syrah almost universally due to the purple color and reductiveness. Only when it’s something like mature Clusel-Roch drunk in Willi’s Wine Bar or something really beefy like Clape or a Voge (she doesn’t have a problem with oak) she may like it but generally I am better off not expecting a positive reaction from her when it comes to Syrah. Funny enough I just ordered a mixed case of Italian reds almost solely to have some bottles at hand I know she will enjoy.

1 Like

My wife loves light reds, Nebbiolo, Jura and Champagne. So she is covered by half of my collection. I can drink Syrah on my own (or with friends.)

1 Like

Reds from Jura?!? Now where’s the logic in that :snort:

Haha, mine too!

It’s rather emotionally devastating to me when I have to drink Juge, Baudry, Jamet, Joguet, Gonon, et al, by myself, while she enjoys her cherished New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. One must make these deep sacrifices for domestic bliss. :wink:

3 Likes

Mostly white ouillé wines from Jura. But she also likes the reds as they are often very light and around 11-12% abv. She does not mind a bit of “natural wine” funk.

It is really awful being forced to drink a good bottle of Syrah by myself. But as you say, sacrifices for our loved ones :wine_glass:

1 Like

Perhaps there should be a support group for people like us who live in a relationship with someone who doesn’t appreciate Syrah or Loire CF. I’m sure there are dozens of us out there, dozens!

1 Like