TN: 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco Langhe Nebbiolo (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC)

I listened to it again on my flight, and that is exactly what he said

I believe Ken’s post is in response to John’s post (#7) in this thread

Ahh so it seems, my mistake!

Yes, it was, but I didn’t want to quote John’s post since we all know John doesn’t make mistakes. He only points out the mistakes of others. neener

I didn’t realize that. Thanks for the correction.

Enrico Dellapiano at Rizzi in Treiso said something similar in an e-mail to me the following spring. And judging by a 2016 Cigliuti nebbiolo I was drinking this week, I can’t wait to try the full-fledged Barbarescos.

PSA: Empire Wine has the 2016 for $17.95, I bought 6. With $24 shipping, works out to $22 per.

Not bad (though shipping sucks). I paid $18.49 all in where I bought mine. FYI, they do not ship.

While we’re on the subject of QPR Nebbiolo, I have to recommend the 2015 Angelo Negro e Figli Langhe Nebbiolo Angelin. I had it last week, and for $17 it’s a really nice wine. I think the 2016 Produttori is a notch better, but I would not turn down a glass or bottle of the other wine. I actually bought four bottles for more near term drinking.

Bump.

David’s right, Produttori’s 2016 Langhe Nebbiolo is absolutely outstanding, probably one of the best QPR bottles of Nebbiolo I’ve ever tasted.

My impression, drinks very much like any “normal” vintage of the Langhe but with more of everything…heightened perfume, deeper flavors & exceptional palate presence. Really comes alive with 20-30 minutes aeration, lovely interplay between fruit, spice and the herbaceous. Worth noting, the tannins are fairly astringent and it’s tinged with oak-spice, so all of those (joyless souls) with a complete aversion to any oak may not be quite as thrilled…regardless, I’m seriously considering grabbing a case – this is the perfect wine to drink on a semi-annual basis over the next 10-15 years.

i also had a bottle this week. It was fantastic. it got even better as we worked on it through the week.

Can’t wait to try the normale’s and riservas from this vintage… 15-40 years from now.

I found these at Wine Library for $16. Despite being out of room in my cellar, and trying to be very selective with purchases, I couldn’t resist buying some. Great weekday wines and cellar defenders.

that is an incredible price for what is in this bottle. I still didn’t hesitate for a few and the best price I can find is 25.

Just found this at $18. Tried it tonight. Light but structured. Wife and I both like. Will get a case this weekend.

Thanks folks.

[drinkers.gif]

+1 It’s my local wine store and I bought 6 yesterday.

Was delighted to see this on the menu of Locanda in SF and ordered a glass tonight. It really is all that - very satisfying true nebb experience - nose, depth, balance. Epic? No, don’t be silly. But fine wine at a solid price and great with food. This is the definition of QPR.

I loved the massive pour. Happily my wife was driving home!

Mouth agape, this fascinates me. I can imagine how this would/could work, in a wild kind of way. What was approximate level of spiciness for the dishes? What kind of curries did you get?

Also a little surprised - tannins being a particular problem with spice. Many langhe nebbiolo wines still have a moderate lick of tannin, though those without any noticeable tannin… yes I could see it working in a way that rosé can work well.

How does this compare to 2015? I’m in VT right now and found the 15 in a local grocery. I really enjoyed it but I don’t know anything about these vintages.

Have not done a direct, side-by-side comparison, but had a bottle of the 2015 in Italy last week that was very, very good. Not quite the same level, but still really good value. 2016 has more depth, but 2015 is no slouch.

Just had a '15 last week and it was lovely. Took a few hours to open up fully. Excited to try my '16’s. I’m told similarly they need some air to open up. I’m sourcing them from the SAQ in Quebec for $26 CAD which seems to compare favorably here.

I’m a pinot drinker who generally prefers elegance over power and I like lower tannin levels in most reds. For those reasons I often prefer the Produttori Nebb over many Barbaresco. Has anyone tried aging this Langhe Nebb? Every time I try one I can’t help but wonder if it might be even better in 5 - 10 years.