TN: 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco Langhe Nebbiolo (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC)

On the fact sheet it is stated

Vineyards: selection of lighter grapes from
various vineyards in within the appellation
Vineyards size: grapes selected from 100
hectares (250 acres) of estate owned
vineyards
Vineyards exposure: south, west, east

Nothing about using solely Barbaresco vineyards. Is it from Vacca’s interview?
Another thing: Why are the 2013 riservas released the 5th year after harvest (March 2018). 2011 were released 4 years after

Yes. Vacca stated in the interview that it’s all Barbaresco fruit.

I do not think he addresses release timing.

Thanks
It is a bit strange that the fact sheet is so general in specs. It also claims that 54 growers are involved in this cuvee?
It is strange too that 2011 required 4 years and 2013 5 years. Or maybe not. Any explantion?

I believe there are about 54 growers in the cooperative farming 100ha, so that would make sense.

“various vineyards in within the appellation” would mean Barbaresco, I’m not even sure they have growers outside of the appellation.

I believe I read somewhere that one vintage they released the riserva’s a bit early because the previous vintage had sold out so quickly…but I have to check. The barrel and bottle aging regimen is set by law so that wouldn’t have changed.

So all 100 hectares are in Barbaresco. I see, thanks
Regarding riservas release , I thought they just were following the DOGC. Any reason not to in 2013?

I still see 2011s on the shelf, so maybe waiting a little longer for more to clear out?

I wouldn’t discount this being an inventory decision rather than a readiness decision. Sell through on the 2011s before releasing the 2013s?

So Produttori Riservas will be available in the market in 2021?

I believe the 2011 were sold out pretty fast
I visited in 2016 and all Riservas were long gone

If you mean 2016 (potentially if released): yes. Or maybe 2020?

I would think 2021 would be correct, they are bottling riservas in 13,14,15 and 16. 13 is on its way shortly

Edit;

Yes yes. But 2011 were apparently released in 2015

Claus,
I think that is incorrect, I seem to remember picking mine up around april/may 2016 and tasting notes on CT seem to agree, Howard has a note from 2015 but he was tasting at the domain with Aldo

Yes you are correct

Thanks for the heads up on this. I’m a fan of the Barbaresco but have never had the Langhe Nebbiolo. Just grabbed a couple ($18 locally).

Was it the 2016 vintage of Langhe Nebbiolo that Aldo was raving about on IDTT?

The only issue I have with the Langhe is that in California, most places have it for no less than $21, yet with those random total wine coupons I can get the Barbaresco for $23-24, so I never end up buying the langhe when the classico is that cheap. If only TW carried the Langhe too.

I believe he said both the 2015 and 2016 are close to the quality level of the normale. He also said that the grapes that were used in better years like those, were of such quality that they could be made into the normale bottling, and there is enough demand to justify increased production, but that there is such demand and expectation for the Langhe as well that they basically have to keep making it.

Produttori owns quite a few plots outside of the village of Barbaresco including in Basarin, Bordini, Bric - Micca, Cole, Cottà, Faset, Gaia - Principe, Gallina, Marcarini, Meruzzano, Montaribaldi, Pajorè, Roncagliette, San Cristoforo, Secondine, Tre Stelle, and Vicenziana. These all go into the Langhe Nebbiolo and the base Barbaresco.

I remember when the 2016 harvest was coming in. Aldo Vacca said they were the most beautiful grapes he had ever seen.

I believe people are speaking of the Barbaresco appellation rather than the village, there are 4 communes within that appellation: Barbaresco, Neive, Treiso and San Rocco. The above plots are all within the appellation.