TN: 2016 Kirkland Signature Series, Stags Leap District Cabernet

Finally tried this last week. Oak overweighs the fruit IMHO. Persoanlly, I would save my money. I may or may not find something at that price that is better, but the cash would go toward something I like better. There are plenty of nice medocs out there…

So interesting to me, as I did not find the oak to stand out whatsoever. Maybe some bottle variation…but the 2 I’ve had were well balanced.

The Beringer Knights Valley is excellent as well. $19 in Chandler.

I have had the 2015 Beringer KV. I not too thrilled with that either to be honest. The KV was a favorite of mine for many, many years but the last several vintages have not been up to speed IMO. The ‘15 is a step above the last several, though. I used to buy these in case lots, and now, I keep trying each new release, but do not buy more. Maybe it is them, e.g., maybe the best juice now goes into KV reserve? Or maybe my tastes have changed.

Found it at the Roseville Costco.

My local Costco just got the 15 Oakville Signature Series in so I popped one tonight. For me, MUCH less inspiring than the Stags Leap District. Generic cab nose, sour cherry on the palate, and a fairly short finish with a bit of heat. I’ll definitely stick with the SLD. $19.

Do you mean the 2016? The 2015 came out in January of this year.

Interesting the price for the 16’ SLD was 22.99 at the Roseville Costco.

Just my 18 cents (it’s rarely just 2 cents…), I really like the Substance wines from Charles Smith. For $12-$14, depending on the source, the “CS” bottling really over-delivers. I get some savoriness and tobacco, which is rare for such a bargain. Plenty of fruit, as well, but I find them to be more integrated/less disjoint than other bargain wines, even at young age. I think the 2016 is the current vintage and what I’ve been drinking. It’s refreshing to have something Cab to grab and not even think twice about price/occasion/am I going to finish this bottle…

I don’t even know what year it is, but true to the bargain and “ease” of this one, it doesn’t even matter!

I’ll check when I get back but I could have sworn it was the 15, and these replaced the SLD at my Phoenix location

The $19 was for the Oakville Signature.

The SLD is $21.99 in Phx/Scottsdale. Surprised theres price differences across markets with their own Kirkland label??

Same here, but perhaps the differences are accounting for state/local taxes?

Yep, it is the 15. This is the first I’ve seen it out here so assumed it was a new release.

I double checked and I did get the '15 Oakville, $18.99 in January of this year. The SLD was $21.99 at my Costco (Azusa) and they have had a good supply on hand.

Hopefully there’s strong enough demand (and grapes) to drive additional Kirkland AVA designation wines. Here’s hoping…imagine a Veeder or Howell version

I bought the '16 Rutherford today (thinking it was what was being discussed in this thread). Will report back but has anyone had the '16 Rutherford Signature Series instead of the SLD?

I found the Rutherford NO where near as good as the Stags Leap. The ruth. tasted like a generic red… disappointing.

I tried to warn everyone: https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/tn-2016-kirkland-signature-cabernet-sauvignon-signature-series-rutherford/148028/1

Showed up in DFW for $21.99 a bottle.

Bought one to try tonight and will report back.

Took along time to show up there.