TN: 2016 Kirkland Signature Series, Stags Leap District Cabernet

There’s no link but if you PM/email me I can invite you to it

Todd, if you like the Knights Valley cab, you gotta get your hands on the Kirkland. Pretty sure you’ll dig it

Rich which Costco you going to? The one in Gilbert and Chandler had nothing :cry:

N. Scottsdale and Cactus location both had a decent amount left late last week.

It’s $21.99 at my local Costco.

$21.99 at my Costco as well; Fullerton, CA.
Picked up half a case and popped one open Saturday night. Thank you for the suggestion on this wine as it’s super.

Glad to hear you folks are liking it.
Yes…21.99
At least, that’s what it was in the DE Costco.

If you guys see any of the Kirkland Alexander Valley Cabernet, pick some of that up for 9.89
I get it every year and it’s surprisingly very nice.
Both are now gone in the DE store.

They do, however, have a Kirkland red blend made by Glenn Hugo winemaker.
I looked home up and he works for Girard.
I had noticed a couple few years ago that Girard made wine for Costco…so was not surprised when that came up in the search.
I opened one a week or so back and wasn’t impressed.
PnP.
Put back in fridge and a couple days later opened it with a steak and it was good.
Was surprised.

Ok headed there tomorrow. Hope they still have a few bottles.

Have a 2016 Kirkland SLD going side by side with another Costco Twenty-bucker, 2015 R. Mondavi Napa
3rd night for each, the SLD has pulled steadily ahead after the Mondovi showed slightly better on PnP
SLD has balanced and deepened, and finish has extended. Mondovi shows thinner with more astringency and briefer finish.
I’m going back for at least a case (or 3) of SLD, replacing, coincedentally, the Knights Valley as the house red (for 2018+) It’s much more nuanced, and much less creamy.

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has found this wine at Minneapolis, MN area Costco’s? I’ve looked and haven’t been able to find it. Based on the notes here it sounds like a good option for ~$20 Cabernet.

Thanks,

Chris

What’s that?

Stags Leap District Cabernet

Popped another one of these, and it’s seriously a steal of a cab for $21. Layered and fairly complex mouthfeel, and while full bodied, it retains a sense of ‘lightness’ that you dont typically find in CA cabernet at this price point. And I swear…I get some of that dusty Rutherford thing. A big time winner in my book.

Two bottles opened, not too impressed here. Just my 2¢.

Are there any other $21 cabs you’ve found to be better? Would legitimately be down to try them if you have.

I drank another one last week and enjoyed it.

For a 2016 it’s already got a lot of fruit. Doesn’t seem to need bottle ageing.

Yep, definitely agree with that. This wine has ‘house cab’ written all over it

This wine is making me question some of my future allocations. Juice is solid. That Berlinger Knights Valley was damn good as well

FWIW - long gone in my area (WA). Wine guy acknowledged agitated in a couple, but noted they disclosed it on the back of the label. SLD did not disclose and he said he wasn’t able to share… and we had a great 15 min conversation. He mentioned that he tried it “against $50/$60 bottles from the same producer and thought the Kirkland brand was better.” FWIW, he’s on the Cayuse list, so not a total stranger to good wine :slight_smile:

None in Bloomfield Hills, Mich…