TN- 2016 Dame de Montrose - best QPR of the vintage?

Thanks, Ed! Cantemerle is usually a good call in most vintages for sure.

My wife doesn’t like any of my reds, so my purchases are usually on the “business account”.

2 Likes

The best part about BDX is the sheer volume that is produced. You can pretty easily backfill any house to 2014 with a little bit of internet searching.

I haven’t popped any of my ‘16’s yet, but I might this weekend for sciences sake.

2 Likes

Cult wine is offering the lovely 2016 Ch. d’Issan for $50.Hard to beat that.

2 Likes

You youngsters! Always finding new ways to enjoy your wines.

2 Likes

Did you buy any Pomerol? Do it big boy!

2 Likes

Mark do you have a link, I cannot find it

1 Like

Just got a case of 16 VCC

This is a timely discussion as we were just considering laying in a few cases of value 2016s. We no longer buy Bordeaux in general, but want to make sure we never run out of well aged, moderately priced, delicious stock for the times when it’s needed. What do people think is the rough trajectory here for those of us who prefer mature, fully integrated wines?

I don´t know … I prefer Grand Vins to 2nd wines, and if a 2nd then Clos du Marquis, which would also be my alternative to Dame -

Also I liked Saint-Pierre, La Lagune, Lagrange (SJ) and Chasse-Spleen more than Dame on a negoce-presentation (in that price range), but Montrose itself is really killer -

1 Like

Dame, Pagodes, and Alter Ego are better than Clos du Marquis in '16 and also better than many grand vins available for the same tab.

Pagodes not for me, I prefer Clos du Marquis - more classic, less made up -
haven´t tasted Alter Ego 16, but it is certainly more expensive, at least here -

1 Like

John,

Honestly, neither do I. It was opened and shared with friends in a casual party setting, hence the bare-bones note. It’s certainly deserving of a repeat purchase for more careful consideration.

As a fellow '14 fanboi, I have to know: Why?

Yeah, I know you’re going to tease me as a frequently joke that fruit is overrated, but I do think the expression of fruit in the 2016s that I have tried over the last several years is more pure, and ripe, but in a very balanced way. I will not compare it to 1982, I’ll leave that for the guys like Howard that were there on release, but I can understand what they are saying. The tannins are generally more polished and a bit sweeter. And there just seems to be a far greater range of success among producers in this vintage, may be a vintage that you had to really suck to screw up. I need to be very clear that I have not yet tried the big boys and girls that I normally like to buy, like Lalande, Montrose, Figeac, VCC, Barton, et al.

2 Likes

'16 lalande was a thing of beauty. Havent had it recently though. CHB '16 was excellent as well.

The big boys from 2016 are almost certainly closed for business. I have had both VCC and Pichon Baron recently. Both reminded me of sullen teenagers; full of talent, but perversely determined to be difficult.

1 Like

Kinda missed out on the 2016 primeur campaign due to circumstances and went relatively big on ’ 15. I checked and am now on a lousy 7 bottles collected by coincidence. This topic triggers me to keep a sharp eye out on offerings. Just found LAFON ROCHET for 45,- euros (when on sale, which at that store is a 6x a year repeating special). Seems a pretty good deal. I’ll be on the lookout for Dame de M and Cantemerle to.

1 Like

I haven’t stepped to any of the 2016 big dogs yet, but I did recently have a '16 Capbern that was mentioned upthread (albeit a couple years ago) and after about 90 minutes in the decanter it was absolutely cruising. Really, really nice and a screaming deal, especially in a great vintage like '16.

1 Like

Had the Blason d’Issan tonight. Decanted it about an hour and it showed admirably.

1 Like

The 2016? Had one last summer and it seemed very primary and fruit-forward to me at the time. If you have more details on its current state I would much appreciate it.

1 Like