TN: 2015 Weingut Max Ferd. Richter Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett

2015 Weingut Max Ferd. Richter Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (5/31/2017)
I wonder if this wine is starting to close down. A prior bottle was delicious, bright & focused. A bottle opened last night was disjointed, and showed a clear separation of acidity and fruit, as if two separate wines had just been blended together. Even a couple of hours open did not bring the pieces together, so the bottle was put back in the fridge to see if 24 hours would help.

I have to believe that this was not a representative showing.

Posted from CellarTracker

Here’s a lateral thought. Perhaps the second bottle had the better cork, and hence fits rather neatly your descriptors?

Please do report back after 24 hrs. I was eyeing this wine for the weekend.

Acidity still sticking out a lot. It’s a bit sour on the finish.

Sarah, open the Veldenzer Elisenberg kabinett instead. The last bottle i opened in late April still stunning.

Second this. Bottle opened in last few weeks was a stunner.

If I had any, I wouldn’t hesitate to follow your suggestion! :slight_smile:

We buy almost no kabinett at all, actually. Only 5% of our Riesling is kabinett level. We have a strong preference for the dry wines, and then supplement with halbtrocken and a small amount of spatlese for the food that needs these. We’ve found kabinett is somewhere in between what we want, and is rarely the right tool for the job. So we buy only a little. That said, as styles change and we encounter new producers, we do still experiment - thus the '15 Max Ferd. Richter.

Braunberger juffer spatlese was singing a couple months ago