TN: 2015 Rhys Family Farm PN

Super Bowl day today, and I recall fondly going to so many Rams home games at the LA Coliseum with my grandfather back in the 70s and even in the early 80s when they moved to Anaheim for a short time. To honor him today, and as I watch the game, I figured I would open something joyful. Family Farm has consistently drank like that for me, and for many vintages I didn’t buy it because I just don’t have the space anymore, leaving my Rhys order for Alpine, 'Shoe, Swan and Bear. But, in 2015 I grabbed one from the offer and opened it tonight. Such a super wine for not big money. It met my expectations tonight and it’s terrific. To my grandfather and all he taught me and the traditions we made, here’s to him and to those who have great people in their lives who made a difference and brought you joy, too.

• 2015 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (2/3/2019)
    Last tasted at the winery in summer of 2017. Opened this afternoon’s bottle about 2 hrs ago, been enjoying some small pours prior to crafting this TN. This wine intrigues me, as it has a # of things going on that attract my attention. First thing I notice, and similar to the 2017 bottle, there is a plush and polished tactile impression that I enjoy. Next, the fruit has seemed to evolve (or context has impacted my 2 experiences differently) in that the wine shows more cherry this time, with a lot of strawberry coming through the back end of the wine. I suppose I could find the same watermelon here from the previous bottle but it doesn’t jump out at me. There is an earthy/tangy note that lifts the fruit through to the finish, too. Taken all together, this is as juicy and complete as it was over a year ago and it’s drinking great. Personally for my taste, I see no reason to age this wine as the fruit is cool to drink now, I’d not want to lose that quality.

Posted from CellarTracker

Finished this up tonight. It picked up a little stem inclusion, but just enough to add a light savory to the aromatic but overall, this was one of the best FF vintages I have had. Drinking excellent at this stage and a fine example for what CA PN can do.