TN: 2015 Pierre Gonon Saint-Joseph

Five years ago Clos Rougeard used to sit on the shelf at the Oakland Whole Foods for $40. The 2006 was there for at least four months. Another Oakland retailer had 2002 Poyeux on the shelf at $47 for years, only selling out in 2010 or so. How things change.

I’ve never had the Juge thing. Have been drinking them for 20+ years and have always been meh on them. Used to have a lot of issues, but even when they’re clean they don’t really do it for me the way that they do for other folks. More for y’all, I guess. I’d be happy to share some Rougeard if you ever find yourself in the heart of Carolina.

Yeah, no shit, right? It’s crazy out there…

To wit, this week from HDH:

Good afternoon,

You have previous bid on Clos Rougeard in our auctions. We currently have some bottles of 2012 available through our retail. The wines are nearly impossible to find, and demand for them has multiplied in recent months. Pricing has gone up accordingly.

2012 Saumer-Champigny - $255/bottle (24 bottles available)
2012 Saumer-Champigny, Le Bourg - $515/bottle (10 bottles available)
2012 Saumer-Champigny, Les Poyeaux - $345/bottle (18 bottles available)
2012 Saumer Blanc, Brézé - $279/bottle (12 bottles available)

That is bat shit crazy pricing!

Insanity.

I hope they’re getting at least some of the money from the run up in prices.

I also remember the days when it just sat on the shelves at Garnet. I think the first time I met Brad Kane was when he noticed a bottle in my basket and complimented me on knowing about it.

Nady sold to a French billionaire.

“Martin and Olivier Bouygues, owners of Bordeaux second-growth Château Montrose in St.-Estèphe, have acquired the fabled Loire Valley domaine Clos Rougeard. The deal was closed June 22, but the purchase price has not been disclosed.” - Wine Spectator

David Lillie used to hold a few bottles for me when I was a grad student and he was at Garnet. Prices seemed incredible to me at the time.

You’d think that for those prices, they’d at least spell them right.

Hahahahaha. I actually missed that the first time I was so blindsided by the prices.

Just insane. Only a few months ago I got the base 2012 Rougeard for $70.

At least you got it, David! My allocation got pulled. Oh well, Rougeard is DTM now.

Well, in reality, 1/2 of Rougeard is DTY now.

Jim - I stand corrected as it is spirits that cannot be shipped outside of NY. Sadly, I’m sure wine is not far behind. I went back to order some of the Bereche and shipping on 3 bottles from NY to VA was $22. As a result I did a self imposed, no soup for me.

I just saw '10 Poyeux for $225 or $235, so the HDH prices do seem out of whack right now even for Rougeard.

True! I will still drink, and not sell, my existing little stash. Well, at $500 per I might sell or trade the Bourg.

Well, the Bourg is sold out now, and there are 5 left of the Poyeux. Less than a case left of the “Le Clos”. So there seems to be a market for these wines at these prices.

What’s insanity to me is where the prices of the Overnoy have gone and how allocated they’ve become, especially after Stu Yaniger’s infamous note on the '93 Poulsard!

1993 Overnoy Arbois Pupillon