TN: 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett

• 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (10/31/2020)
    Pop and pour. Tasted at cellar temperature plus 15 minutes in the fridge. Average nose with unmistakable riesling aromatics. Light on its feet in your mouth, white peach, apricot, and a bit of saltiness/minerality. The acidity spars with the residual sugar to create a mouth watering finish that leaves you wanting another sip. Highly gulpable wine.

This is my first tasting of this particular Prum bottling, it seems to be missing some of the depth that the WS or GH kabinetts have. I don’t know if this is a function of the bottle or the timing (2015’s seem to be in a sleepy phase for me). I feel like if I check back in 2-3 hours this will probably be slightly closer to room temperature and gain some depth from the air.

Next check in will be in 5+ years.

for $25 to be able to back fill this in 2020 is a STRONG recommend. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

At $25 that is a steal! This sounds like a perfect summer wine. I would definitely stock up at $25 a pop. I assume the bottles may be in a “dummy phase” and will possibly get better in a few years in terms of depth. That is an assumption on my part though. I have always found when I pop and pour Prum’s that several hours later or even a day later they are much more open and show much more. Thanks so much for sharing.

I think this is a function of the vineyard. Bernkasteler Badstube is less exciting than WS or GH in my opinion, but also less expensive, because less renowned. And since it still is Prüm, it still is a great wine, which you got at a great price.