TN: 2015 Guillaume Gilles Cornas

Did you enjoy it, though? And did you save any for day two or was it chugalug? :slight_smile:

Here are some further notes on the 2012 and 2015, tasting before going to the Marché aux Vins in Ampuis this January:https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=148206&hilit=Marché+aux+vins+ampuis#p2433414
Have not yet tasted the 2014 yet but was somewhat surprised that 2014 is higher in alcohol than the 2015.

Thanks for the note. I have been a huge fan of these wines since the '07 vintage and can’t wait to receive my '15s. The one bottles of his new, young-vines cuvĂ©e “Les Rieux” from '15 that I drank was sensational.

Half the bottle left.

Nathan, mine came from Rosenthal. However, the wines were allocated this year and pricing was net. I agree with your comparison to Allemand. Experienced tasters mistake them blind. The depth of fruit in the 2015 masks some of the savory characteristics at this stage, but I am confident that those will become more prominent with time in the bottle.

At $60, I expect that MacArthurs’ were grey market. From Rosenthal on the west coast, $65 is doable with a skinny margin. Sadly, as with other northern Rhones of this quality, I expect supplies to dwindle and prices to increase. Too many people seeking too little wine.

Disclaimer: I sell Gilles.

Anyone know where the vineyard source(s) are for this bottle? There was talk about expansion to the flatter plateaus above the core hills of Cornas. But can’t argue with what’s in the bottle, I guess.

The grapes from high up on the plateau go into his other cuvée that i believe is called Nouvelle R, being a play on words for the french for New Era and the lieu dit being Les Riaux

I think

Les Rieux, see Zach’s post above

Rosenthal’s website says the Cornas grapes are from the higher slopes of les chaillots, from Robert Michel’s old grapes. I guess Gilles got chaillots and Paris got geynale.

I don’t think of the DC import market as grey even if it turns out it in this case the Wine doesn’t come in through Rosenthal.

My retail price in NY was just under $65 a bottle (plus tax).

Rosenthal is the national distributor, so wine that doesn’t come in through them is by definition “Grey Market”. I would also imagine that the MacArthurs stock is not from Rosenthal unless they received a big time sweetheart deal. At $60 you’d barely be covering cost plus cc fees. That said, I have zero issue with the grey market and import wine directly from Europe often. It leads to more competition, better prices for consumers, and causes distributors to operate in something closer to a free market. Occasionally wines that come in through regular distribution are better because that distributor was able to choose barrels or what not, but this is the exception rather than the rule. Most of the grey market stuff is just moved from one distribution channel to another.

Disclaimer: I sell Rosenthal wines and I also import “grey market” wines.

I just took delivery of the 2015 Guillaume Gilles Cornas Les Rieux. Sounds like I need to sit on it for a while.

Jayson, I wasn’t implying anything by “grey market” other than what Ryan described.

I’m not sure why I popped this. Well, I did pour a bad Bordeaux down the drain. Felt likes something “fruity”. Figured a 2015 N. Rhone would be perfect. This is fairly shut down this first night. Will circle back tomorrow, but this wine definitely needs time.

Thanks for the note. I’d expect that most Northern Rhone ‘15s worth a damn (93 pts) would be in Operation Shutdown at this point.