TN: 2014 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah The Contender

• 2014 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah The Contender - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (9/4/2019)
    Wow. The first of three bottles has been sleeping in my cellar for the last 3+ years. Finally got around to opening a bottle. Lots of funk on the nose, which eventually blew off. This wine is in PERFECT balance. Subdued classy fruit, silky mouthfeel, and a fantastic finish. It’s a real effortless drink with lots of pleasure. This is in the zone now. Drink if you have one! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

They’ve done a pretty good job of matching up the Rocks funkiness with nice fruit influences. We drank a 2011 Stonessence with the Labor Day steak BBQ and although the 2011’s aren’t my favorite vintage, it still had that balance to it. I’ll be digging into my 2012’s soon, but based on my recent experience with the 2011’s I was wondering if maybe I like these a little on the younger side? Cheers!

My fav producer from W2. Fruit and funk balanced on a teeter totter of acidity and tannin.

How long did you slow ox or decant?

I was disappointed in many their 2013s. Took hours to open up and even then most seemed thin and flat. This post makes me hopeful for the 14s.

PnP on this bottle. If i were to open another soon, would probably decant for an hour to let the funk settle down.

How long did you slow ox or decant?

I was disappointed in many their 2013s. Took hours to open up and even then most seemed thin and flat. This post makes me hopeful for the 14s.

13 has been hit or miss for me. Not the best vintage.