TN: 2014 Real Companhia Velha Quinta das Carvalhas Touriga Nacional Douro

• 2014 Real Companhia Velha Quinta das Carvalhas Touriga Nacional Douro - Portugal, Douro (2/20/2018)
    $18. Tasted over 3 hours. I really enjoyed the 2012 version of this so was really curious to try this one when I saw it on the shelf at a local retail chain. The first thing I noticed were the tannins on this are quite pronounced in relation to the lighter bodied fruit. Still has that tar and graphite of the 2012, but doesn’t have the depth or the long finish. While pleasant and enjoyable this doesn’t reach the level of previous vintages. In its defense, this was a really challenging year in the Douro with cool weather and lots of rain that persisted off and on even through the harvest. While it may not be up to the level of that overachieving 2012, this still performs well for its inexpensive price.

87 Points (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks, Andy. This is a bottle that I routinely eye at TW, but I’ve never pulled the trigger; I’m suspicious of Touriga Nacional below a particular price point of which I’m not exactly certain — sub-$20 certainly gives me pause, however. Not saying it should, but it does.

I agree. TN is a tough grape to tame by itself and few producers do, especially at anything under the $50 range. Yet RCV has done so in the past. While not a Crasto TN, I’ve generally been in the 89 point range for this wine in the past. This one is still good given the price, but the tough vintage does show. That all said, I’d still buy more of this for an inexpensive and still decent daily drinker.