TN: 2014 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre

• 2014 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (6/24/2018)
    Popped and poured. Crisp lemon and sea breeze with some iodine on the nose. Very lean and energetic palate, puckering and drying with a very tightly clenched finish. Lots of potential to improve for many years. Update, saved a glass for day 2 and after 24 hours left corked in the fridge the wine was even better. Fuller and deeper flavors, the acidity had receded or more likely the fruit had opened/expanded. Wonderful vintage in Chablis and at Raveneau. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Another wonderful 14. Sounds delicious! Thanks for the note Larry.

Raveneau’s '14’s are great, the best vintage from them for a while, delicious now (with air), but still even better with time!

Have yet to meet one I didn’t like. At all levels.
Nice note, Larry. Sounds great. I need more Raveneau in my life.

i’ve only tried one bottle of 14 raveneau (clos) - i was smitten. definitely the one of the best rav i’ve had period.

[cheers.gif]

Had the 2012 in February off the list at Lameloise in Burgundy for $100 EU. It was delicious! Crazy how much these wines are marked up here in the States.

And that’s already >3x ex-Domaine pricing…

Is the ex-Cellar price really 30 euros?

i have drank the 14 mdt, chapelot, and butteaux so far and by far my favorite was the butteaux. obviously all were fantastic. chapelot was the least expressive though (it was a root day i believe haha).

Less than that, as far as I know. The Clos is around 30.

All well and good but…do they even let people buy at the cellar door?

Long waiting list, I believe.

But it’s interesting to have some sense of the extent of the markup once it leaves France.

I thought I did well paying $175 per bottle. From $30 at the cellar to $175 to me yields an 80% markup at each of 3 steps in the distribution chain (importer, distributor, then retailer). Crazy to think that the margin for a retailer selling the wine is greater than what the family gets.

Don’t let Stan Stevenson or Mel Knox know you said that.

Seen Raveneau Clos selling now for over $1,000 a bottle retail (and even more).

Now that’s a markup!

At that price, it’s worth coming to Chablis and its surroundings to drink a few bottles. There are several restaurants where Les Clos with >10 years bottle age is less than 130 EUR. Fewer every year, of course.

At current retail I’ll pass, unfortunately, on this very good wine. There are others white burgundies I prefer that are less than half the price, and other 1er cru Chablis that, while maybe not quite at the level of Raveneau MdT, come in at $30.

Yes,

We had every bottle we could in Britian/France earlier in the year, generally under about 120 EUR, depending.

Think we paid 120 EUR for a '14 Blanchots? Was fantastic anyway…