TN: 2014 Chateau Sociando-Mallet

The most Alfert of Alfert wines. A @Julian_Marshall wine as well, I bet. Expect me to score this one highly. It’s outstanding. And leave aside that it was cheap on release. I grabbed two cases. This and Lanessan in this classic 2014 vintage. And both are soaring. And starting to showcase.

This acts and smells like a Pauillac. Big wafts of bold dark cassis, pencil shavings, tobacco, with rich soil tones. Fresh crisp nose with a menthol top note. Palate is quite lively, fresh acid dancing around to keep those dark fruits elevated, a vein of reds, earth and some other nuanced elements starting to evolve. Feels pretty soil to glass. Tannins showing themselves a bit but clearly resolving. Lovely fresh finish. I know I’ve said that word three times in that note, but that’s the biggest Takeaway with this wine in this vintage.

(93 pts.)

14 Likes

When can we start cracking our magnums of the 2014 Cuvee Jean Gautreau?

Haha!! Hold!!

1 Like

Had a bottle a week ago. Completely agree with your description.

1 Like

Naturellement mon brave!!

It’s a lovely wine and your excellent note sounds as if nothing has changed since I tried one two years ago. I haven’t tried the Cuvée JG yet - that should be great too. It’ll be interesting in the future to compare the 14s and 16s of both - plenty of fun to come!

1 Like