TN: 2014 Château Lanessan (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)

Man.

I sooooo miss 8-10 years ago when it seemed like K&L was offering ex-cellar Lannesan from the 90s/early 2000s at $20-$30 per like every week…

I’m fortunate to have a good stash of 05 Lanessan. It an awesome wine for the price, which I’d probably never have sampled if not for this board. To my taste, it’s in the early part of its window. I have no idea whether more recent vintages will follow a comparable trajectory, but given what it costs I don’t see any reason not to stash a few.

And of all phucking crazy things in the universe, Alfert somehow forgot to buy the 2005. Go figure. An epic fail.

I opened a maggie of 2009 in December 2018. It surprised even me with how complete it tasted. You will never mistake this for a super second but that’s not the point. It’s a great tasting wine with herbs cassis and by God some delicious understated fruit.
PS: I have no idea what this will taste like in 20 years but it’s should be pretty damn nice now - 2030.

Popped one of these last night…dang this is in a great place right now. It needs about 30 minutes to start spreading its wings and really blossoms around 60 minutes. After about 3 hours open, the aromatics really kick into overdrive and are literally wafting from the glass. On the palate, it’s pretty old school, with the tannin and acids still prominent, but not overbearing. Drink or hold, but it is certainly ready to go right now with a little air.

I had a 2000 Lanessan a few months ago and it was fantastic. Amazing for a wine that cost like $15 on release, or maybe less (I can’t remember). From my TN –

“On the nose, it had that beautiful cool, pure mixed berries and earth scent to it that is one of my favorite things about left bank Bordeaux. On the palate, it had a fine sweetness to it without in any way compromising its savory quality or Bordeaux typicity. It was beautifully structured and the line from the initial taste to the back palate was just classic, so smooth. Maybe lacked the full concentration of a big fancy more expensive wine but that was not a problem, it was so well balanced and within itself and gave no sense of being a “thin” wine or lacking fullness”

I had my first 14 Lanessan a few weeks ago. I thought it was drinking beautifully, though the structure was coming to the fore. I expect to open a couple of more bottles in the next year and then probably let it sit for a few more years. I don’t have as much experience with this wine as I’d like to as I only discovered it from all the talk here. I have recently had a 95 that was quite wonderful. I am keeping an eye out for more older vintages as I do not like the sound of Bouard having moved in.

Reviving this thread. Really remains the QPR of the vintage along with 2014 Sociando. Hard to recall any other two value Bordeaux in recent years that hit all the right buttons with me. This 2014 Lanessan will age, has the structure to go longish, coupled with my knowledge of how this wine is 20-25+ years out. But damn is it tasty now if you like young Bordeaux that show more than just structure. Totally love the cool climate profile of this wine. Has a minty, leafy profile with dark cassis and pencil. Juicy and crisp at the same time with a range of dark fruits and hints of red. Love the acid on this wine. Obviously still needs to flesh out, it’s a baby after all, but so spectacular for what it is. Honestly, I wish I had five cases of this wine not just two.

(91-92 pts.)

BB1B13F1-95FC-4212-B080-AC5B744706E2.jpeg

1 Like

I had my hands on a bottle of this tonight and changed my mind.

So funny! What did you grab? I almost grabbed a 2014 Sky Zin.

1 Like

I am still storing a pile of the 2000 and 2005.

A Bedrock. Because release is tomorrow…

Fantastic vintages of Lanessan! Sell me some! I also just grabbed more 2009. Another excellent vintage of this wine, shockingly red-fruited for the vintage.

Drink for free when visiting.

Bitch, when I come a knocking, you ain’t cracking the cheap shit for me! Montrose, baby!

1 Like

OK, 1989.

After a bottle opened 2 weekends ago I decided I needed more of this wine.
My second case arrived yesterday.

1 Like

I have to blame @Robert.A.Jr for my wife asking me about probably having thrown her shoes into disarray when sneaking / storing those 12 each of Lanessan 2014 and 2019 (at 14€ and 15€) into the rather full cellar … but hey … Robert A. Alfert, Jr., was right

Oy. Now look what you’ve started

This is True Elotism in its most pure form.

Fortunately he is known for being quite humble, and blushes at any attention.

1 Like