TN: 2014 Caroline Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets

Posted from CellarTracker

Watching a few of the bowls today after a rough night of call. This is such a feminine beautiful wine. A+ Great job Pierre-Yves!

Why great job Pierre-Yves? I thought this wine was done entirely by Caroline?

Another winning 2014 white Burg from the Morey clan—glad it showed so well, Don.

A very happy and healthy 2017 to you, Pam, Trey, Ashley and the rest of the family.

Mike

Thanks for the note Don. Bought some of her wines but have not tasted any yet.

Pierre Yves does all the vinification of her whites if my information is correct.

Thank you for the good notes, Don. I have little doubt that the wine is lovely. If I understand the situation correctly, the domaine of Caroline’s father, Jean-Marc Morey, was allocated between Caroline and her brother Sylvain following the 2013 vintage, and that this wine comes from Caroline’s parcel of Caillerets. I tried Sylvain’s 2014 Chassagne-Montrachet Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge, and it is a lovely wine, showing a touch similar to that of his father (which I did not find in his 2014 Santenay Grand Clos Rousseau). I did not purchase it, however, as he has moved away from his father’s standard size bottle and adopted that of PYCM, as Caroline has done, I believe. I know that you have some close contact with the family and I wonder if you have any insight as to why they use the large, heavy bottles and whether there might be an inoffensive way to encourage them to change.

Marty,
I really don’t have any insight into the bottle size. It is a very awkward size and doesn’t fit in any standard racking. I will ask my friends who have closer contact than I do.

Please report back, Don. The family certainly does not need the bottles to make a statement as the wines do that just fine.

Re: bottle size/shape: I did ask the same question to the Belgian importer of PYCM a year ago and it is apparently about quality of preservation and minimisation of premox risk. Can’t remember the explanation as to why this bottle shape has that effect.

I also very much liked the Caillerets from Caroline. I tasted both the PYCM’s and Caroline’s Caillerets earlier this year and they are from different plots in the vineyard but similar wines. I was just at the new PYCM facility - it is beautiful and very functional since he designed the features. He was bottling some St. Aubin when I was there in an amazing bottling machine that is a long way from the old days of hand-filling and licking the labels.

Jerry,
Sounds like a great visit.
I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing his new facility.
It sounds beautiful!

Fascinating. How similar did the two wines taste. Did they taste like they were made by the same producer or two different producers.

Thanks for the note. Don’t have any Les Caillerets but do have some Les Chaumees and Champs Gain. Hope they are as good as your note.

My friend posted something similar on instagram this month, that PYCM makes the wine and she puts her label on it. She replied on his instagram account with “Seriously?”. So i’m guessing that’s not the case anymore. I read that when she first started her label that was the case, but now it’s a joint venture.

Regardless, it’s still a lovely wine.

Don, you are correct at least in so far as 14` is concerned. I tasted with PY and Caroline in LA last year at a trade tasting put on by Atherton Wine & Spirits and asked the question. BTW, one of the wines she poured was this very same one and it shined beautifully. I bought it from Envoyer on pre-arrival last year and am still waiting for it, now even more in anticipation. Thanks for the notes.

interesting! So caroline confirmed herself that Pierre Yves is making the wine?

Yes, unless we had an English/ French miscommunication. It seemed clear to me and he had a big smile upon answering. They were standing next to each other at the time.

Gotta wonder if something was lost in translation. Maybe she’s making her impact more in the vineyards.

Interesting