TN: 2014 Bernard Baudry “Les Grézeaux” Chinon

2014 Bernard Baudry “Les Grézeaux” Chinon

Mouth-clenching red berry acidity, bold tannin and all youthful character from a popped-and-poured bottle in Day 1. Settled in with serene, cool-weather fruit and adding the perfect blueberry notes in Day 2 with the now more expressive bouquet evoking nothing but class. Delicious length. I don’t think I’m completely off with this analogy but this is where I begin to see similarities with highly-classified Bordeaux in good vintages, except that this was purchased at release for $26.99 less 10% case discount! On track to becoming a special vintage for Les Grezeaux.

17 Likes

Not that long since I drank a bottle of it. And I can only agree. Great wine and these 2014’s from Baudry feels special.

1 Like

Has anyone checked in on '14 Croix Boissee? I was able to buy several recently. I was planning to sit on them for a couple of years, but if they are showing well now…

With several of them no harm in taking one for the team :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes a few months back. No shame in checking in now.

1 Like

Love love love this vintage of 2014 Loire CF. And I am of the opinion that in these most classic of years like 2014, Les Grezeaux shines best of the Baudry stable.

Thanks for the check-in note!

3 Likes

Have not had Le Grezeaux since release and have multiples to occasionally spare, itnos.

But, I’m curious about 2014 Le Clos Guillot, the oftentimes Baudry SV after-thought wine and I have zero bottles.

It’s funny that you say that, as I have always had the same impression of that cuvee. I buy it but not every year like I do the other cuvees.

Just opened a bottle this evening and couldn’t agree more with your assessment. “Pure Class” sums it up perfectly, and like Alfert, I love this vintage compared to the riper vintages like 2015.

1 Like

I thought that Guillot was their 2nd best red. I’ve preferred the two bottles I’ve tasted to the same vintages of Grezeaux (2012 & 2018). Is that incorrect?

If you base it off the pricing, that would be correct. If you base it off preference, perhaps not. My favorite cuvee is the Grezeaux

3 Likes

Question to the OG’s. I have been buying B. Grx since 2009 (which still are delicious). What do you gents feel/think/have experienced the full drinking window of these wines. Because they are delicious fairly young, maybe my question is

1. For the 14 what do you think the perfect drinking window for these wines (I know it depends but take a guess)?
  2. Any tasting notes or memories of what the B Grx drinks like with some serious age?

Look forward to learning from your experience!

While I started buying with the 1996 vintage I think the oldest I’ve had was a 2005 at age 16. Gorgeous at that point. And a 1997 Croix Boissee that same night certainly lent credence to the idea that holding longer wouldn’t do it any harm: I’ve certainly never had one that I thought was over the hill.

3 Likes

What does “SV” stand for here?

I’m guessing he was referring to it generically to a single Vineyard designated wine - SV or SVD.

1 Like

Only time will tell. I think most vintages of Grez can go 20-30 years but it’s mostly a hypothesis without a ton of data points to support beyond what Jay highlights and those library releases a decade or so ago from chambers.

3 Likes

I can’t answer your 2nd question as my oldest bottle of Baudry was a 2010 Boissée, but this 2014 Grezeaux felt like it would still be delicious in a decade.

1 Like

In a way, they’re all of equal quality, just different because of the site.
Croix Boissée: calcaire (white limestone), behaves like Burgundy.
Clos Guillot: clay and yellow limestone, right across the amphitheater Chêne Vert, behaves like Right-Bank Bordeaux.
Grézeaux: oldest vines, alluvial soils with large stones (grézeaux), behaves like Chinon.

These are maybe the least expensive truly great wines in the world.

4 Likes

Honestly, this is the best description I have read about Baudry. And definitely explains my preferences here.

1 Like

Interesting. What do you mean by “behaves like”?

Croix Boissee has always reminded me of L Bank Bdx., a bit. And Clos Guillot has always struck me as being Cab. Franc for Burgundy lovers.