TN: 2013 Roagna Barbera d'Alba (Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d'Alba)

Not much of 2023 left and here we have very likely the red wine with the best drinkability up to this point. That’s not a small feat given it’s this year that the throwback low-alc Beaujolais vintage of 2021 hit the shelves in many cases. The CT notes are not all full of praise, many calling this tart and highlighting the acidity. For my (and my better half’s) palate it is not especially tart at all and the acidity is on point. As far as Barbera styles go this is what I would choose each and every time but unfortunately I don’t know too many in similar vein.

• 2013 Roagna Barbera d'Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d'Alba (22.12.2023)
    Delightfully matured on the nose; very autumnal and savory with dried cherries, truffle, a bit of leather, sole tobacco and baking spices. On the palate the key word is harmony. It is medium bodied with pretty much perfect proportions and appropriately high acidity. A bit on the lean side but in no way austere, it definitely sports good fruit still. A traditionalist Barbera for sure, alcohol goes unnoticed, oak doesn’t really play a major role and it feels borderline weightless. As the tannins are pretty kind this just goes down incredibly easy while not lacking in terms of flavor or presence. A fantastic drink and at its peak, I would think.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Yes, I wonder if those complaints are from people expecting a Braida or similar Barbera. FWIW I like both the bigger style (and can accept what others might feel is over-oaking), and the lighter (yet still serious) style.

Not that I’d expect you’d be able to find it easily, but we do rather enjoy Gabutti’s Barbera, which I don’t think sees any small oak

I reckon you might be right. I don’t personally necessarily hate the so called ”Super Barbera” genre and would prefer to drink one of those rather than a Barbera that is more restrained yet dull, which exist too. This of course like G Rinaldi is very vivid and elegant.

Gabutti is Cappellano, correct? Will have to keep my eyes open the next time I’m in Italy, thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Confusingly it isn’t. Gabutti being the name of a vineyard shared by Cappellano and Gabutti themselves (and perhaps others). The winery is called Gabutti, but sometimes referred to by the name of the owner (Franco Boasso) to ease confusion.

I see :grinning: the only CT entry for a wine with both Gabutti and Barbera on the name is for Cappellano, I suppose the wine you are referring to is one of the Boasso Barberas?

1 Like