TN: 2013 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph

Had the very excellent 2014 a week or so ago, and popping the 2013 tonight, I had an expectation that this wine might be better. On release, I preferred 2013 over 2014. Right now that’s flipped. The 2014 is in an excellent spot, highly aromatic and picking up more weight and depth since release. The 2013 has lost some of the brooding structure that made me think this was a baby 2010, but it has really revealed this to be more of a red-fruited vintage of Gonon. Lovely for sure, with a nice range of sweet, tart and savory reds, but perhaps lacking some of the darker tones that expected this vintage to show. I’m 94 points on the 2014 and 92 points on this 2013. Will circle back to both in 3 years or so.

10 Likes

Damn I agree, now your actually making me trust your palate!

1 Like

That, good sir, would be a great mistake!

:wink:

1 Like

Hmm, might have to open a 13. The days of buying that for 24 euros are long gone lol.

2013 and 2014 were sub-par vintages for Rhone wines, so great to see it showing so well.

Agree with Alan… you don’t want to know how much I was paying for the 2015s when I was living in Paris :smiley:

I will have to disagree on 13, it was a great vintage. Haven’t explored the wines lately to see how that assessment is holding up, but on release they were phenomenal. 14 very tricky, yeah, but some producers made really good, if uniquely 14, wines.

Interesting, not sure I have heard these vintages called “sub-par”. I think they are both very good to excellent. Probably a slight nod to 2013, but the aromatics on the 2014 are crazy good. Not sub-para at all to me.

My experience with the bookends on these vintages (2012, 2015, 2016) was much, much better than with 13/14. I fully respect the breadth of wines you’ve had, so will leave it with YMMV.

16 is a classically great vintage. 12 and 15 warmer and much more forward. The only time I’ve had 16 Gonon was fairly soon after release, and it was quite stern, tannic, actually tough to drink. 12 and 15 were always open and delicious, if fairly big wines. 13 and 14, for someone with taste for a leaner, less forward style, were pretty delicious early on. I went through too many of each, assuming I would always be able to reload in the $40s they sold for then lol.

I’m totally drawing a blank on the 16. Based on your comment and Alan’s, I need to circle up on one to check in. Those 12s were so forward and delish that I hit them young and fast! I think I have some left tho. More of an open, friendly style of Gonon.

I had the 2010 last week and brooding it still was, with some maturing aromas but at an awkward stage. Looks like I have 5 bottles of the '14 so need to try that before long.

Couldn’t agree more about 2013. Had a peek at how the Jamet is doing and the future looks extremely promising.

1 Like

Have a smattering of that 2013 Jamet but being patient. Popped a 2013 Allemand Reynard last year, and while it’s excellent, it really was a shame at current pricing to pop it like that.

Yeah it needs some time; we opened one last spring and it wasn’t ready

Don’t sell yourself short…

Current pricing is really tough to accept……

1 Like