TN: 2013 Hirsch Vineyards Pinot Noir Reserve

• 2013 Hirsch Vineyards Pinot Noir Reserve - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/7/2021)
    Rounding into a mature form, this is showing earthy character along with rounded fruit tones. The acidic edges have been sanded off, and the wine is of a piece. It’s surprisingly a bit thin on the mid-palate, but the finish has good sustain, so it doesn’t feel weak. Overall I really enjoy drinking this now, and would advocate opening bottles soon, especially if you have more than one. This was my last, but no regrets.

Posted from CellarTracker

Having mostly had these at younger phases, I always imagined that they would fill out later in their lives. What makes you say that these should be drunk now? Do you have experience with these at a much older age that was disappointing?

Not doubting you here, just looking for details!

I am basing it on the maturing of the aromas and the thinner than expected mid-palate.

Do you find they make their wine better than other other vintners working with their grapes?

I don’t think so. Of those I have tried, I prefer Failla, but I think that’s a stylistic thing, not any objective quality measure.