TN: 2013 Hess Collection Cabernet Mt. Veeder, 2014 Louis M. Martini Cabernet Napa Valley

2013 Hess Collection Cabernet Mt. Veeder -
Nose: Darker spectrum, with black currant, black cherry, resin, cherry liqueur. Closed down at first but turns elegant and lovely.
Taste : Similar and bold black currant and black cherry notes, with a complex midpalate folding in minerals and a subtle cedar quality which adds to the spectrum but does not dominate. More resin notes too. Excellent length, tannins are robust but refined at this early stage. Mountain cabernet all the way, should drink brilliantly in 7-10 years. Compelling stuff.
RSL BS Rating - 94 points

[cheers.gif] Wonderfully made cabernet, with genuine Mt. Veeder character. Will seek out more and bury them for a while. Excellent!

2014 Louis M. Martini Cabernet Napa Valley -
Nose: The higher toned side of Cabernet, with notes of cherry, kirsch, raspberry, and subtle herbs all of which focus into a pure beam with time in the glass.
Taste: Again this is on the vivacious side of Napa Cab, with cherry pie, currant, and raspberry held up by snappy acidity. Sage and minerals expand midpalate, but it goes darker on the finish with integrated toasty oak. Finish is shockingly long for a wine this affordable.
RSL BS Rating - 93 points

[cheers.gif] This is a bulk purchase at under $30, I cannot recall a Napa Cab in several years that performs this well at the price-point. It’s good to pop and pour now (it recedes into baby fat after a couple hours but emerges later) but this wine is a genuine ager - I will revisit in 4-5 years. Quite impressed.

The new team at Hess has really found a groove. Bringing in Celia Welch to consult on The Lion, helped them understand tannin management and fruit development better, I believe, and this Mt. Veeder Cab is a direct beneficiary on a really good run 2013 - 2016.

If you drank these in past they were more rustic, almost the Dunn of Mt. Veeder.

Thank you - great notes.