TN: 2013 Fontodi Syrah Case Via Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT

• 2013 Fontodi Syrah Case Via Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (4/11/2017)
    { #VinItaly 2017} Oh, dear, this is special. Delivers the essence of Tuscan Syrah, with meaty, soil-driven notes below rich layers of spicy, ripe red and black fruits. Each taste comes across with such foucs and purity, it’s hard to put this down. I tasted all the wines of Fontodi today, this was my final one, tasted more than once, not sure I spat this one. 2018-2030. highly recommended

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I was so impressed last year with 95, 99, 10, and 12 that I caved and bought the 13 without tasting when a good sale price cropped up a couple months ago.

I hope to remedy that I’ve never had the 06.

Hi Tim
Thanks for the note.
Maybe I should try again, having been somewhat disappointed by the 2000 vintage in 2011, though I did wonder whether there was some upside to come:

• 2000 Fontodi Syrah Case Via Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (26/07/2011)
    Whilst still a youthful purple, there’s some age showing through at the rim.

The nose is still dominated by youthful blackberry fruit, but with some coffee and a hint of sweet fig emerging and a little black pepper. Swirling reveals some rich raspberry scents.

The palate has some complexity, but again that youthful fruit stands out. Surprisingly light-bodied (light to medium) it just feels like it’s lacking either elegance or more oomph. Caught between two stools and doesn’t particularly suggest an Italian influence. Further maturity might bring rewards and it’s certainly not in a rush to fall over. As it stands now, I couldn’t choose this over some NZ syrahs at half the price and more interest.

Note also, that this was bought to explore Tuscan Syrah wines further, having had a very enjoyable (and very Italianate) 1994 Isole e Olena Syrah at a similar age. We’d got such a clear preference for the Isole e Olena wine, that it’s the one we’ve bought and enjoyed since.

Regards
Ian