TN: 2012 Robert Mondavi Winery Fumé Blanc Reserve To-Kalon Vineyard

2012 Robert Mondavi Winery Fumé Blanc Reserve To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/2/2023)
These wines are getting more and more precious...I now see these pushing $100 per at the winery, and the I Block is not even listed on their website, and only a lone bottle of the 16 offered on WS for $899! This 2012 Reserve is still drinkin FANTASTIC...bright and energized with youth...pitted orchard and tropical fruit salad...killer sour tarts and grapefruit acidity...SO exotic with banana skin wax, green tea, lemon grass...all integrated perfectly with this salty crushed limestone minerality...smoked sage...some honey butter. Really exotic, singular wine, and like no other SB on the planet. The I Block just takes it up past the notches...and with all the history associated with these vines and wines...just a true JOY to drink one! (94 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

agreed. lovely bottle

Funny you should mention the I block as I was hunting for a bottle recently. The Mondavi site does not have it listed, they used to only sell it on site at the winery, then briefly allowed on line sales…now not on wine searcher at all for recent vintages. Always thought that even $100 was a steal for that wine, it was totally unique. Would not pay $800 for it however! The reserve fume Blanc is supposed to source from the monastery block they still own IIRC.

Pricing is just bonkers for lots of Napa wines these days. I not that long ago remember when the Judge was around $200. WS has it pushing a thousand. When did it start to price out like Coche?

I bought two cases of this wine for $20 per bottle. I Block was under $100 for ever…now I’m afraid to ask! I get it though…that is Mondavi’s best wine they make imo and SO unique…could charge whatever they want!