TN: 2012 Qupé Syrah Bien Nacido Hillside Estate

• 2012 Qupé Syrah Bien Nacido Hillside Estate - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (8/7/2021)
    From magnum. Decanted an hour before service. Dark shiny purple. Still very much primary right now, so many years of life ahead before maturity. Drinking extremely well, at least in this format. Great black fruits with moderate acidity and tannins. The wine is so tasty right now that it’s going to be hard to keep my hands off the other two magnums. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Just opened a 2001 in magnum…should have waited another ten years!

1 Like

Bien Nacido Syrah from the right winemaker will go years. I’ve had 20+ year old bottles from Ojai and Jaffurs and they all could have gone 5-10+ yet.

That’s good to know guys. I’ve got two more magnums. I’ll move them to offsite storage to keep my hands off of them. The wine is really tasty right now with an hour of air.

I’m a fan of cool-climate syrah, and was looking forward to this wine. It was nice, but I wasn’t as impressed as you were. My note:

• 2012 Qupé Syrah Bien Nacido Hillside Estate - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (7/28/2021)
    From magnum, this wine was quite balanced and light for a syrah. Not terribly expressive or complex, just easy drinking and it was even acceptable on a hot summer day. (89 pts.)