TN: 2012 Lagier Meredith Syrah (USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder)

• 2012 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (10/19/2018)
    A Berserkerday purchase. Got three votes out of three at my house. Unanimous positive response. Smooth and easy to drink but it’s still got tannin to smooth out. Popped, decanted, poured and then followed for about 3 hours. Pepper spice at the rear of the palate and a general unspecific citrus overlay to red fruit in the middle. no sweetness and not a fruit driven wine. This was my only bottle but if I had more, I would wait five years or more. Nice balance between over-austerity and jammy ripeness, and overall a bit on the austere side of middle. No one would say it’s slutty, but it’s still approachable in relative youth. Bravo!

BTW - after three hours, it was a bit more austere and did not open up more. I’m guessing this is a sign that it needs 5 year, probably more, in bottle. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Jay, I just drank an 01 that was still quite youthful, I’d use the 15 year rule - though they can be enjoyed young as well. You’re the rare taster that would call a Lagier-Meredith Syrah “austere” neener

champagne.gif

Concur that year 15 is when the front door opens on these. Had a '99 earlier this year that was special and still needed three hours of air to show it’s best.

Enjoy their malbecs while you wait on the syrahs.

-af

My favorites have been at about 10 years or so in age.

Perhaps it was shut down a bit, but it was certainly not jammy or overly fruit forward. I guess it depends on what you mean by austere. As to 15 years, if I waited that long, I would have had it at age 76. Too long to wait.

Agree on the toddlercide there, counselor. I’m trying to hold off opening my last bottle of 2004 and if I do, it will get some few hours of decant.