TN: 2012 Domaine Guiberteau - Saumur Blanc "Clos des Carmes" (France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur)

2012 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc Clos des Carmes Monopole - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (11/11/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –

NOSE: honeysuckle; wooly mineral; mango – sweet potato combo; expressive.

BODY: medium-light maize color; medium bodied.

TASTE: mouthwatering acidity — high acidity; lots of mineral — cross between wooly and salinic; green grapes, lemon, and a hint of mango; my gut impression score is 92, Ashley’s gut impression score is 90. Obviously, I enjoyed this a lot, but I’m not sure the price premium over the Breze is worth it. Drink or Hold.

Do not see that many Saumur Blanc in my area of Alberta. Reds more readily available.

2012 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc Clos des Carmes Brézé - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (1/28/2022)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 1 hr. on Day 1; revisited on Day 4 –

NOSE: very light on Day 1. Day 4: more expressive than Day 1: rich, and slightly buttery with some noticeable oak; slightly sherried, high-toned, pear/apple mix.

BODY: moderately dark golden yellow color; medium bodied.

TASTE: Day 1: advanced on the palate, with high acidity; more advanced than I would expect/hope for, but see Day 4. Day 4: rich, with high acidity — somewhat intense; concentrated: papaya/pear/apple; I’d say probably better on Day 4 than on Day 1, and now I’m less convinced than I was on Day 1 that this is more advanced than it should be. Gut impression score: 91 - 92. Drink or Hold.

I’ve run into quite a few wines that seem to freshen up overnight(or two nights). Most recently a Pierre Moncuit Delos that was much fresher after 24 hours open.

It’s a vexing phenomenon.

Checked-in on this the other day. Admittedly, my focus was more on our company than it was the wine, so take this TN with a couple grains of salt. Looking back on my previous notes, I do wonder if this would have benefitted from more air — while awfully tasty, it did come across as being on the lighter / slightly watery side of things.

2012 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc Clos des Carmes Brézé - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (4/23/2024)
– popped and poured –
– tasted a couple pours non-blind over a couple hrs. –

Some noticeable age on the Nose and Palate – it comes across as appropriately advanced for its age. More youthful than my previous bottle on 01/28/22. Light wafts of ginger and honey on the moderately-aged Nose. Palate leans a bit to the lighter side, and it came across as a bit watery / lacking in density and depth. Given how well my previous bottle responded to healthy air exposure, it’s certainly possible this bottle, too, would have similarly benefited if given the opportunity. Drink Now and over the near term.

I love seeing notes on this producer, especially their top whites this this. I’ve had premox problems with the 2010 2015 & 2017 vintages so I keep them only for a year or two…but your notes make me hopeful that things could be not as bad as I thought.

1 Like

:grimacing: Are you talking only Carmes, or also the Breze? I have a lone '10 Carmes left, and somehow (luckily?) didn’t buy any '15 or '17, but I have a handful of Breze in both '15 and '17 …

Only the Carmes…but because of that I’m treating the Breeze the same way.

1 Like

That’s reasonable. I see I have yet to try Breze in either of those vintages, but there’s really no reason for me to hold-off at this point, as I have a few of each. Watch this space. :slight_smile: