TN: 2012 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor (Chile, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto)

• 2012 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor - Chile, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto (11/8/2019)
    Day 1: This wine was rocking out of the gate but when it sat in the decanter became less interesting. You should pop and pour and consume this wine. Medium purple. Cherry, spice, plum, minerals and gravel. Very balanced and medium plus finish. Balanced. As stated earlier the wine became less interesting over the course of 3 hours. Got too much air. 93 points on the pop and pour. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Definitely not a top top vintage for Don Melchor, I shudder to think what a Cab of this quality year in and out would cost coming out of Napa.

I always love that this wine tastes like Cab, has the savory herbal element that turns into dried flowers with age, camphor, and pencil lead.

Kris this for sure is not much of an ager and should be consumed sooner than later. Just picked some of the 2011 up at a decent price. What do you think of its aging potential?

Cheers,

John

Day 2: Less intense and a shade of what it was yesterday which proved my theory this wine is a pop and pour wine. While it should age in the bottle a few more years I believe maximum enjoyment for this wine is now. 88 points

John,

I’m a big fan of 2011, as I drink it more frequently, the previous wholesaler had 50+ cases they were going to dump, so I bought it from them as aged-Cab is an anomaly for distributors to have in stock.

It’s really a classic vintage, so the 6er I have I’ll start popping one a year in 2020 and see it thru age 15.

I’m a big fan of 2011, as I drink it more frequently, the previous wholesaler had 50+ cases they were going to dump, so I bought it from them as aged-Cab is an anomaly for distributors to have in stock.

It’s really a classic vintage, so the 6er I have I’ll start popping one a year in 2020 and see it thru age 15.

Thanks for the reply. Of all places Sam’s Club has this for $60 a bottle. Not the find of the year but decant price.