TN: 2012 Clos Bellane Côtes du Rhône Villages Valréas Blanc

2012 Clos Bellane Côtes du Rhône Villages Valréas Blanc Les Échalas - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages Valréas (9/13/2020)

Sometimes you get a wonderful surprise from a little bottle you left alone in your cellar. Disclaimer: I like Stephane Vedeau’s red wines but I am generally not a huge fan of whites from the Rhône (north or south). Last bottle I had of this was in 2016. I had liked it but thought it was a little too full and round for my taste. I uncorked this tonight since I had reports that this might (most probably might) be over the hill and had it with a “terrine de foie gras”.

What a joy! Pale golden color that bodes well. Time has done wonders. The nose is quite expressive with notes of fresh and dried apricots, some exotic fruits, a touch of honey and aromatic herbs (honeysuckle). Where in the past the palate was a little too ripe, this is now perfectly in balance: full mouth, silky but dry. There is a slight tannic presence and beautiful bitterness that accompanies the fruit and goes on for a while. I loved this and there was no need to hurry. A nice (inexpensive) treat!

Had the 2013 in January of this year and it was a really pleasant surprise. Punching way above its class and a terrific Rhone blanc by any standard. Thanks for the TN. Peace