TN: 2012 Burlotto - Barolo Acclivi

Even before dinner is on the table, this is showing well. A faint trace of smokiness on the nose. (Or is that just from the bacon I was adding to a dish?) Medium body (it’s a blend from Verduno vineyards, and a '12), with a fair deal of fine-grained tannin. The fruit is a bit reticent, but it’s on the sour cherry end of the scale. If you tasted this blind, you could mistake it for a top-flight Volnay from an austere but serious vintage.

A lovely wine. Pretty much the same overall impression as I had tasting at the cantina in September, except that the finish seems to come up a bit short now – perhaps a symptom of the vintage:

2012 Barolo Acclivi: A blend of Verduno vineyards, including Neirane, which they used to bottle as a single vineyard. Floral scents and red fruits on the nose. Lovely balance, more toward red fruit in the mouth. Elegant – lots of finesse, but with depth and structure. I liked this better than earlier vintages I’ve tried. Another bottling that shows it’s a mistake to be too hung up on single-cru Barolo. 91++ (Burlotto also makes a Barolo classico, but I did not sample that.)

The fruit really came to the fore with a spicy beef stew. As usual, nebbiolo needs food!

Sounds nice. Was hoping to visit Burlotto when in Piedmont next month, but unfortunately they will be in the UK, so no dice.

John, I’ve had a couple of bottles of this vintage and I agree. It’s a nice, approachable wine to drink while you wait for your Monviglieros and Cannubis to come around.

Cheers, Howard

I had this wine last week. Over two days. It was excellent. Great aromatics and lovely mouthfeel. Loved it