TN: 2011 Wind Gap Wines Pinot Noir (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

• 2011 Wind Gap Wines Pinot Noir - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/16/2012)
    12.4% alcohol. Medium dark ruby red. Fairly expressive red fruit aromas. Focused red-fruit on the palate including red cherry, raspberry and a bit of spice. Lingering aftertaste.

From balance-junky Pax Mahle. I probably did this one a disservice, it will undoubtedly improve with 2-5 years in the bottle. A remarkable CA appellation Pinot. I hope this is a harbinger of things to come from the '11 vintage.

I call this serendipity. I wanted my one-bottle allocation of the ancient vine Bedrock Mourved and took this on to fill out a half case. Sometimes things work out. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

As I continue to sip this, it brings a little saline mineralogy to the party. Really fine stuff.

Sounds delicious!

Pax deserves more praise for what he is doing with Wind Gap.

Can’t keep my hands off the 07 GSM from James Berry. Wine is terrific, long QPR.

Mike,
The label says 2010 - which is it?
Best, Jim

Stock photo from Cellartracker.

Stock CT pic. It’s an '11.

Ah.
You know they have portable cameras now that you can take just about anywhere? :slight_smile:
Best, Jim

My allocation of this wine just arrived (along with Mourvedre and some Syrah). Thanks for the note. I may have to pop one very soon.

For us visual learners…
wgmor11.jpg
wgscpn11.jpg

The 2011 vintage in the North Coast was an unusually difficult one, featuring a wet and cool spring, cool summer months and rainstorms striking during the traditional harvest period. This sub-$40, 12.4% alcohol appellation pinot gives me encouragement that a lower-sugar vintage will broadly translate into some beautifully delineated, energetic and elegant wines.

Mikey D, holy crap, I just got the box from GSO y/day…you don’t mess around. I saw your note in CT last night as I was putting the bottles into the cellar!

Maybe I will open one of these tomorrow and see what it’s like. Probably easy still to reload some, too.

Frank, I really like what Pax did with this '11 appellation. Similar in style, I think, to some exceptional single vineyard pinots that we’ve shared over the years. I love it when a producer can hit the mark with a reasonably-priced appellation. Let me know what you think!

Hell, I may open the damn thing tonight, now. Stop!

I’m wondering where Pax sourced the fruit for this wine. I believe that the '10 was at least partially sourced from Griffin’s Lair/Gap’s Crown fruit?

I liked the WG '10, but think the '11 is better.