TN: 2011 Riverain Syrah Cardiac Hill Bennett Valley aka Nordhoff Does It

It’s got a great pedigree…top vineyard, top winemaker, expert sorters, nervous/humble owner. Why not? Understand that Nordhoff did sandbag it as only a silver-tongued attorney can, so my expectations were low. That and it might have been about the 50th wine I’d tasted at that point, and Richard Jennings I am not.

In all seriousness, I was impressed by the contrast of dark color, medium weight, and peppery/rocky fruit. Just what I like in a CA syrah.

Falltacular, the best.

Just got a note from Steve. For those interested in signing up for Riverain - now is your opportunity:

We are happy to announce our website, riverainvineyards.com is up, and we will be launching our first release very soon. You may go to the website to sign up using the “Join Our Mailing List” icon in the upper right. This will create an account for you when we send our first release email.

We will be releasing our 2011 Cabernet from theTench vineyard in Oakville, along with our 2011 Syrah from the Cardiac Hill vineyard in Bennett Valley.

Rigorous farming left us with very low yields in 2011, but very fine quality. Our winemaker, Thomas Brown, noted the following on the wines:

2011 CABERNET SAUVIGNON OAKVILLE

From the Tench Vineyard in eastern Oakville (bordering Screaming Eagle & Rudd), the 2011 Riverain Cabernet is a classic expression of the vintage and vineyard.

2011 was a challenging year that required attention to the weather, the farming and everything in-between. Only the best sites in the best locations were able to shine under such conditions and we are extremely proud of the effort and wine we have made.

Long and cool, as one would expect, there is a site reflective balance and acidity that is common to this part of Oakville. The acidity, which frames the black and lifted red fruit notes through the mid-palate, provides a tremendous length that gives the perception of a limitless finish.

In its youth, a healthy decant will be required to coax this wine out of its early reticence, however those with some patience will find themselves duly rewarded over the next 8-10+ years.

147 cases

14.1% alcohol

2011 SYRAH BENNETT VALLEY CARDIAC HILL

In 2011, the growing season was unseasonably cool, but fastidious farming and diligent sorting allowed us to produce a dense wine, with a deep violet purple color. We included 28% whole cluster for aromatic complexity. The wine was aged 15 months in one year and older French Oak barrels.

In its youth, a healthy decant will be required to coax this wine out of its early reticence, however those with some patience will find themselves duly rewarded over the next 8-10+ years.

140 cases

12.8% alcohol

[/quote]

I wonder if Mr. Nordoff remembers this so very gracious gesture? [highfive.gif]

I wonder if Mr. Nordoff remembers this so very gracious gesture? [highfive.gif][/quote]

Just hoping for another freebee Jim? [wink.gif]

Any freebee!

Are the '11’s sold out?

Congrats Steve on launching the site! I’m on the list [cheers.gif]

No - my understanding is that the 11s are about to be offered for the first time.

Thanks, Mike. I feel like there is some sort of wine buying party coming up soon… :slight_smile:

Sign up. Having had the cab during the holidays, next to what was Levy McCllelan and also Matriarch, I thought Steve’s cab stood in just fine, and at a fraction of the price of the LM, too.

I so want to lob a snarky comment about over-ripe, wood laden cabs and the critics but I won’t. Let me just say that Steve’s 2011 cab won’t get that knock from me. FWIW, my note is below and I reiterate I got NO investment in the wine or the Riverain group. I simply have a fantastic friend in Steve who has worked his ass off to bring this project over the line.

• 2011 Riverain Cabernet Sauvignon Tench Vinerard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (12/23/2013)
    Tasted from magnum. Was tasting this next to Ryan Curry, who knows TRB’s wines quite well and I have to agree with his comment that this had some Rivers-Marie aromatics in it, like the pine needle and orange peel of what comes through the RM pinots. There is a lot of spicy cherry in this wine, acid running through it. Imagine, acid in Cabernet? The fruit has mostly red tones with a little bit of a blue edge and then into the finish, the same spicy cherry, some vanilla, finishing with a bit of tang. This will appeal to those who seek Cab that runs outside some of the hype and Big Flavor elements, to borrow the Jon Bonne term. Good job to Thomas and Steve on the wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

I made the list! Also, I can finally say…wait for it…I’ve been following him from the very start!

You guys are just super nice [drinkers.gif] grouphug

We are trying to release this month. The website has the signup protocol and then we will send everyone who has signed up an email.

Dr. Dietz, I have been decanting your sample for three months, should just be about ready to go [tease.gif]

Either you or Frank need to borrow my avatar? [snort.gif]

I thought that was your Stringworks work uniform.

Yeah, like I work. Why would I need a ‘work uniform’?

About all I want from that whack avatar is the cool ring that Jenn gave you. I can rock that thing on my index finger on my right hand—fly. [thumbs-up.gif]

You don’t, unless you’re selling Wine Checks, and then you become SUPERHOT Todd French!

That’s what the tankini is for.

[welldone.gif] Work is over-rated!