TN: 2011 Riverain Syrah Cardiac Hill Bennett Valley aka Nordhoff Does It

Steve, Chris just yelled at me for us bullying you. Leave him alone! LOL

If you don’t bring it then we’ll do dinner with the crew one night. Maybe at our house, I’ll float that balloon after we finish this bottle tonight. [stirthepothal.gif]

Steve WAAY COOL…Can’t wait to give it a taste.

[cheers.gif]

Wunderbar! Congrats Steve!

This guy TRB will be a good winemaker newhere

• 2011 Riverain Syrah Cardiac Hill Bennett Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley (2/17/2013)
    I was fortunate enough to be offered a pour from an unlabeled bottle when a guy in the corner whispered something and I turned to see Steve holding his first vintage of Syrah. This was recently bottled/shipped and he was nervous and excited at the same time. Hey, now I’m excited.

Color is very dark, nearly black with blue highlights flashing around in the glass in full sunlight. Nose composed of light floral, dark toast, cassis and blackberry. These are positive signs leading to my first taste. Lots of talk regarding balance these days and I’d use that descriptor here because of the equal weight of the various components. Dark fruit, mild stem notes, just a bit of garden herbs, and white pepper adding the spicy edge. Medium weight to the wine and tannins were lively. Finish is medium. Very enjoyable wine and Steve should be proud, no doubt.

Posted from CellarTracker

Is any of this stuff available for purchase? Checked out the website but it was coming up blank under the “shop Riverain” link. Maybe I am an idiot but could not find any way to purchase…

I don’t think it is available for purchase yet.

Berserker Exclusive

newhere

Coming soon (I hope), we are in the process of finalizing the website, labeling, etc. Thanks for the kind words and the interest. I think we just might offer a Bezerker exclusive Frenchie :slight_smile:

With your amazing cork throwing accuracy, I’m sure the wine is fantastic.

flirtysmile

Steve was kind enough to pass this around at Falltacular. After I tasted, I accused him of slipping some Copain Hawk’s Butte from the upstairs station in to the unlabeled bottle. Although his face got red and he gave me a humble, “aw, shucks, you’re just sayin’ that…”, I told him I wasn’t blowing smoke, this reminds me of Hawk’s Butte. Dark color, but medium body and the rocky/peppery thing that I love in the Copain/Halcon syrahs from Yorkville (although these grapes came from Bennett Valley). Seriously good stuff.

Must have been the crew at the sorting table!

Easy buy!

Cardiac Hill is an outstanding vineyard. Looking forward to trying this.

Steve, poking around on the website, said you’ll have a sauvignon blanc. TRB doing that too? which vintage do you expect to release as the first SB?

Me too. And I was at Falltacular. Clearly, I’m not in the elite group! [thankyou.gif]

Did you know it was a paid event or did you just grab a glass and walk in?

Paid event? [crazy2.gif]

In defense of Falltacular, this was indeed a paid, private event and Mr Jim Dietz, he is certainly a known elite in these circles. Dietz, you must have been lurking in some other part of the house as I suspect the bottle went fast.

Nordhoff, you can see the interest now that a release peek by the locals is in demand here. When Andrew starts to put you into the Copain HB class, that’s a helluva complement too.

Brig, not until this year for SB, finalizing some details on that one. The 2011 Oakville Cab will be bottled in June.

Jimmy D, for all the abuse you take, I have a custom 187ml bottle for you, gratis [stirthepothal.gif]

Andrew, thanks for the kind words. The credit really goes to Thomas and Jim Mack as they are both diligent, vigilant and completely on their games.

pileon

Wow, Stevie, I’m humbled. Thank you. [drinkers.gif]

Jim’s punishment for freeloading Falltacular is a gratis piccolo of Riverain? [wink.gif]