TN: 2011 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Marier Vineyard Humboldt County

• 2011 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Marier Vineyard Humboldt County - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (1/7/2017)
    Dark ruby with slightly bricking rim, nose of moss, balsam and mushrooms, Dry tart fruit, chewy tannins with medium body, roast beef, olive brine, iodine, Himalayan blackberries and cane tannins. This is a complex wine with some bold fruit and body, but at the same time restrained in an old world manner. Savory is an apt description, drinking well and should last many more years. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, dsGriswold!!

I would think it is safe to say that your description would classify this Cabot Syrah as “savory”! :slight_smile:

Himalayan blackberries and cane tannins?

In Oregon these grow prolifically as evergreen blackberries, we need herds of goats to keep them in check. Birds love them and deposit seeds all over. I think Br’r Rabbit got tossed into them back in the day. They are more tart and earthy than commercially grown. If you are lost in the woods the pith in the canes is edible. Look out for bears in the briar patch who can stake out their favorite sites.

Thanks!

This was the first Syrah from our Marier Vineyard. Hermitage clones planted on extremely steep slopes(40 degree grade) at high elevation. Glad you enjoyed this. We will be adding this wine in one of our Syrah Packs on berserker day…:wink:

Now that is my kind of Syrah!

There will definitely be some Cabot wines in my basket in the upcoming Berserker day. Huge fan.

Loving a 2010 Cabot Humboldt County Syrah right now - I LOVE Cabot Sarahs! Can’t wait to open the 2011 Marier

+1

I just had the 2011 Cabot Syrah last night. It was my first Cabot wine and I took a flyer on it due to the rave reviews on this board. I was really, really impressed. One of the better QPR’s I’ve come across in a long time.

Looking forward to stocking up on it!