TN: 2011 Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissee (updated with 2011 Grezeaux note)

Go for it. The wine definitely has the structure and balance for a long and lovely life, but it’s plenty expressive and delicious now. It’s not going to rate a high score on the Alfert Rusticity Index, as it’s a pretty polished take on Chinon, but it’s unmistakably Chinon nonetheless and could be the good litmus test you’re looking for in regard to Loire reds.

Cheers,

Bill

LOL, I did just trade my son’s college fund in for some back-vintage Rougeard!

I think it was FMIIi who went all crazy over the neon bright purple color of the 2010 Marc Plouzeau Franc de Pied. As I Podega’d this 2011 Croix Boissee, that was the first thing that came to mind, “dang this is some seriously neon purple drank!” Nothing new world about this puppy, however. A really solid, quality Chinon, great typicity. I had one glass on pop and pour, went out for sushi, and here I’m back a few hours later with a second glass from the decanter. Not finding it quite as accessible on night one as some of you guys, but wow does this wine have a lot of stuffing, and for the fare, it’s a tremendous deal. Saving remaining 1/3 bottle for tomorrow. Thanks Uncle Marty!

Looking forward to this as well.

crushing me as well. have a ski trip planned to Jay Peak with my 8yr old. might pack a bottle of Baudry to be there in spirit.

The Franc de Pied is from Guillot. I thought Mathieu implied it was dying? VLM would know

I personally think it is the better terroir between the two. Croix Boisee is easily the top but Guillot is my number 2

When I spoke with matthieu about a year ago about whether native root stocks would be something they would seek to do more of, he sort of rolled his eyes. He said they had lost about 80% of what they had planted, and he really didn’t have any interest in trying what was really a losing proposition. The louse doesn’t like sandy soil (Guillot), so I don’t know if what’s left is protected because it’s in the sandiest part, or if it’s still dying.

Day two this baby is singing. I’m thinking a 5-year optimal window starting, much earlier than 09 and 10, but dang it’s good right now, especially if you don’t mind a little chewiness. Digging the grainy Minerality and ash. Beautiful Chinon perfume.

I know, man. +1. Super bummed about this. This and the annual LDM tasting that I have never been able to make.

Guillot’s more generous in youth, for sure, in my (limited) experience. I haven’t had Grezeaux with age and don’t know how it develops, but it strikes me as being rather stern young.

Drinking a 2011 grezeaux right now… So good! This bottle seems to have a bit less earthy funk than the last, but great fruit, nice weight, med + acid & chewy tannin. Need to add to my current stash of this wine.

Baudry’s wines are excellent as wine and in value terms and we buy each year direct from the Domaine while staying at our favourite hotel/restaurant, the Domaine des Hauts de Loire - which fortunately also cellars his wines.

In fact we drank so much of the Guillot 10 in July/August last summer that they were trying to get more from him when we left.

Over the years I have found the Guillot [of the threesome including the Grezeaux and Croix Boissee] the easiest to drink young although unfortunately he was pretty much sold out when we visited last year although Francois Chidaine’s shop in Montlouis, La Cave Insolite, had a good selection including a few 2008 and 2009s of all 3.

I generally find the Guillot the prettiest [so it’s the one I buy most of], the Grezeaux thicker and more rustic but great with a little more age and the Croix Boissee usually requiring at least 3-5 more years to strut its exceptional stuff.

However based on comments in this thread I am looking forward to drinking the 2011 Croix Boissee, which I would normally think was way too early, at the Domaine des Hauts de Loire in July. It will be interesting to hear what Frank the sommelier has to say.

Nigel, you describe my experience with these wines, as well, although I have little experience with aged bottles. Do have an early go at the 2011 Croix Boissee. I believe that you will be surprised. [cheers.gif]

Dangerous to have kept another bottle in my home fridge instead of storage. Was thirsty tonight, having just killed a lovely '09 Selvapiana Vigneto Bucerchiale Chianti Rufina Reserva, so reached into the fridge and this was staring at me. Front and center. Everything around it, too expensive and not ready. So I grabbed it, popped it and drinking away. Amazing how much ash this wine throws. Not sure I’ve ever picked up that much ash on a Baudry cuvee. Ash and green bell peppers. Bear in mind, I love that ash note in Chinons. Chewy, taut, grainy, with lovely crisp reds. Tannins clamp down. This really is a wine that should be held for 5+ years. Digging it but not really optimal drinking, as one would expect given its infancy.

Was in Envoyer this week and they still have a small set of 2011 Baudry cuvees for sale. I passed, although it was not easy to say No. Having bought some Wind Gap this week, that made it easier!

I managed to collar four locally at a good price, and will hold them for a while.

Frank, if you’re on the left coast, consider also Martin Steinley as a source, a decent guy with fair pricing on Baudry. He posts here. I have no stake or interest, etc.

Robert, dish: what’s the back story on your new avatar? It looks cool.

blush Who started this thread, as it turns out. blush

I opened a bottle of the '06 Croix Boisee tonight. Hadnt had a bottle since 2011. Really pretty color, but the wine wasnt as harmonious as I might have hoped. Still quite tannic, alcohol a little more prominent than would have liked, wood quite present as well, fruit was pretty but fairly buried in there. Perhaps just in an odd spot, perhaps not the best bottle, perhaps just needs air/time. Others tasted this vintage?

Hi Ian -

I’m a huge fan of mid-century modern art. This piece is a small mixed media about 8.5x11 by Lolo Soldevilla, the leader of the concrete art movement in Cuba in the 1950s. She did paintings, sculptures and 3-dimensional wall pieces arranging geometric forms in interesting, sometimes whimsical patterns. Her philosophy on the role of geometry and concrete forms in art was hugely influential in the Latin American concrete art movement during that time, but in my opinion her works, while fun and interesting, do not show the same range of artistic talent as her contemporaries. I just happen to love the simplicity of her works. Her best stuff is in sculpture, but alas, out of my price range!