TN: 2011 Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissee (updated with 2011 Grezeaux note)

I’d snap it up, Alex.

Here is my recent note on the '09 Guillot:

My '11 Boissee comes in Friday, one will be sacrificed immediately. I never really believed in bottle shock, especially on a young wine with likely little-to-no sediment.

This kills me that I can’t make it

I agreed with everything in the note apart from this. Or maybe I’m a masochist (idiot?) :wink:

But the '11 Croix Boissee was absolutely stunning over a couple of nights earlier in the week. A bit tannic and rather herbal at first, but came together really well with air, and after an hour or so developed a really polished, silky texture. Great balance and finesse. I am going to be searching for more to add to the cellar. I might even open another young, as it’s awesome now as well.

I just purchased my ticket. The Baudry/Coudert/Pinon/Pepiere dinner a few years ago was extraordinary.

I thought Martin was saying exactly that, and the opening part of his post that you quote here, was a general description of what this Cuvee is normally like. I thought he was saying, in a funny way, that the 2011 defies conventional wisdom, and is in fact, accessible now.

Martin?

I almost popped one last night. Sounds like I need to take the plunge in the interest of science.

Well, I drank a good portion of the 2007 in the year or so right after release - I thought it was absolutely irresistible then, and now my one regret is not cellaring more. And I’ve had a fair bit of the 09/10 young as well, and thought they were incredible. So I’m still placing myself in the masochist/idiot camp. neener

If anything, I found the '11 more tannic and less accessible on release than either the '07 (pure silk, incredibly graceful) or the '09 (also tannic but with lots of ripe fruit).

But then again I’m of the view that Baudry’s Chinons are incredible wines to drink at a lot of stages, whether very young or old.

Sure, but you don’t wan to pay what I’d ask.

I had this maybe a month ago and like the fruit and structure, but I will say there was some cigar ash notes in the nose that were not my thing.

Can anyone say how those ash notes evolve with say 10-15 years?

Hopefully never! To me, that is signature Chinon. I have picked it up in Chinons with 15+ years of age, admittedly some are more pronounced in their youth. The 2011 Guion I popped last night was all ash, green pepper and crunchy cranberry.

The couple of Baudrys I’ve had from 1996 showed no real ashiness - by that point the more funky stemmy/green/dirt elements had developed into a set of really appealing forestal and smoky notes, and the wines were incredibly polished and graceful.

The other old Loire Cab Francs I’ve had from Clos Rougeard and Olga Raffault have been quite similar in that regard - the '85 and '89 Raffault Chinons especially showed a lot of elegance and finesse, not as wild/rustic in terms of flavor/texture as they can be when young.

Hmm, while Croix Boissee seems more suited for longer aging, I do prefer Grezeaux and Les Granges aromatics a bit more, with that floral, graphite and earthy funkiness. I like tobacco leaf-ish notes, but not really ashtray. Not a dealbreaker for me but I feel it detracts a bit for my tastes.

Thanks for these notes!

Grezeauz is my favorite of the Baudry cuvees as well for the same earthy funk reasons. The 2010 was AWESOME.

No love for the Guillot?

Sure. I think it depends somewhat on the year, but also on what style you prefer on any given night. Best to buy a blend of the three, (or four if you can get the Franc de Pied, which is basically a Guillot).

Robert, I was trying to make a couple of points: First, I was trying to avoid a flaming for opening and drinking this right off of Kermit’s truck and, second, I was surprised how open and beautiful the wine was this early.

Had this last night. Surprisingly open for a young Chinon. A couple hours in a decanter helps.

Baudry makes a blend? Kidding, a lot of each has been my practice for the last couple of years. Did not connect the fdp with the Guillot, though: seems a little fresher and crunchier.

Any point in trying a 2010 Grezeauz right now? My small stash of 2010s just arrived and I’m still trying to find out if Loire reds are really my thing.