TN: 2010 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah The Contender (Wine of the Year on Day 3!)

This one goes out to all the non believers on the 3 day review. This is not some made up concept and this wine proves that. This got zero votes out of 4 Washington State Syrah’s last Saturday and finished

this up on Monday and is my wine of the year.

• 2010 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah The Contender - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (12/3/2022)
    Twin Cities Wine Club Washington State Bordeaux & Syrah Tasting (Edina, MN): Day 1: So the highest rated wine in the tasting via Cellar Tracker and even myself who brought it had it at last place of the tasting. The 2017 Result of a Crush Syrah dominated it. Black olives, spice, floral and stone. Elegant but not concentrated enough.
    Day 3: This is why I do the 3 Day Wine Review and transformation of the year!!! Not showing well at the tasting and took home a glass and didn’t drink any day 2 but day 3 holly cow! Black olives, tar, truffles, cigar ash, stone, dark currants, white pepper, complex spices and gravel. Not only is the most amazing 3 day wine change in a long time it might end up being wine of the year. 97 points
    Recommendation: Buy!!! This wine needs some serious more time in the cellar. Day 1 not much going on but day 3 one of the best Syrah experiences to date. (97 points)
3 Likes

Thanks for the notes. I have only one bottle left and I have no idea when I should drink it.

Syrah is the wonder grape for multi-day drinking.

I dont know that I am a non believer in your philosophy, I just don’t find the data particularly useful.

I am not convinced it is useful to determine aging as aging is primarily anaerobic

Anytime I drink day or two day old wine, I most often cannot get past the oxidation effects

Perhaps as a measure of “you should decant this wine”, but there are zero situations I can think of where I am going to open something 3 days in advance to serve.

I am glad it works for you, but it is just not a meaningful data point to me.

7 Likes

Port? Sauternes? Auslese? Bourbon? Vodka?

1 Like

In 5 years or more to be honest. This is in now hurry to drink.

Oxidation? No issues at all. I am popping the cork and not decanting. Stored in a dark room. Honestly not much of an issue on my end. I could see oxidation if you decant and then put back in the bottle on day 2 or 3.

1 Like

Thanks. I will exercise some patience.

fun to poke off context holes in absolutes right?

1 Like

Hey it works for you. Thats what matters. Not sure how a dark room or a well lit room matters for oxidation purposes, but felt you were asking for feedback ( or challenging dissent) in general so offered my $0.02

1 Like

1000%

1 Like

Scott guessing you have little to no notes even trying 3 days of a wine. Love all the critics that have not even tried the approach.

Kris say as Scott. You have notes saying 3 days does not work. Easy to criticize without any facts to back up it does not work. Many of your friends in Washington told me to keep doing it.

I am not militant about it, I don’t have any process at this point, 3 minutes or 3 days.

Past that in my wine career, I just drink it to enjoy, not trying to build a business, a platform, or anything, and I am okay with my street cred re. wine.

2 Likes

I would just point you to my previous comments. It works for you, happy for you, but if you don’t want dissent, don’t ask for it.

Guys I get it, however no one liked this wine that much on the night of the event including me. The evolution over 3 is real. I also brought the 2017 Result of a Crush Syrah which was my wine of the night at the event but that wine will never reach the quality of the Contender on any day or year.

No real fight in this, as I like your WA reviews, but rarely do I find wines to improve on day 3. Can it happen, absolutely. Is it the norm, not in my experience. You do you.

Some balance of posting wines that fail over 3 days vs. seemingly only those that succeed would probably help, along with the ITB moniker since this is a business for you would also help as 3 Day Wine Review LLC and Twin Cities Wine Review is a thing and something you are profiting off of personally.

3 Likes

ah. the evangelism now makes more sense

2 Likes

If you decant a wine then you are doing the same thing I am doing over 3 days. I don’t decant anything and can’t drink a bottle every night as only wine drinker in the house.

1 Like

Loving WineBid. PIcked this up for $36 a bottle tonight! A few extra fees and shipping but under $50 to my door!

1 Like