TN: 2010 Monteraponi Chianti Classico

In search of soulful, traditional Chianti Classico…?
braganti.jpg
I last tasted this wine as part of my Blind Chianti Classico dinner and since then, this wonderful Sangiovese has fleshed out more and is showing even better now.

The 2010 Chianti Classico is aptly named. Gone are the barriques. Gone are the international varietals. Gone are the precisely controlled temperature fermentations. This wine is organic, it’s soulful and it’s delicious in every sense.

The 2010 starts off as a beautiful medium ruby red color and has pretty violet reflections out at the rim. The aromas on the nose speak of Tuscany, and Monteraponi’s terroir. There’s loads of crushed berry, flowers, and a slight tobacco herb note. On the palate, Braganti’s touch is evident. The crushed berry flavors, fresh and lively, are joined by dusty, shaley minerals that assert themselves in both flavor and tactility. There is no sense at all that this wine saw any oak treatment. The extended cement macerations have left this wine in it’s purest form and that’s just what Braganti says a “Classico” must be.

The wine is persistent on the finish and extends it’s slightly ripe/sweet finish by adding complexity from that slight tobacco note. The wine paired very well with Pizza Margherita - in IT’S classic form, but equally as well with that famed Sicilian dish, Pasta alla Norma.

Well done and very affordable at about $19. 91 points. Bravissimi!

I also recently interview Proprietor Michele Braganti: Tuscan Vines: Monteraponi: Interview with Michele Braganti
Monte2010.jpg

Yep, this is (and has been for a while) very pure and extremely good Chianti, and the 2010 is gorgeous.

Unfamilar with this producer, but sounds good. Thanks for the note!

They are in Radda. The Classico is great, but the Barone Ugo & the Il Campitello are very special.

John, These are wonderful wines, much as you describe them. Kudos to Acid Imports for importing. We are both newbies, so let me suggest that you identify yourself as ITB (something I initially failed to do).

also unfamiliar with the producer but will try to find and taste it:-) and more love for the 2010 Chianti’s - Drinking the last glass of a Felsina Chianti Classico 2010 at this moment and it is really great:-)