TN: 2010 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Fontalloro (Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT)

The 04 Rancia was superb when young but shut down pretty hard. Nothing new for this label. I own a case and opened a bottle in January last year. I think the wine is still not ready for consumption at least from my active cellar. But its still very promising. Rancia is a notorious slow ager imo.

My guess is it will require at least10 more years in the cellar.
The 2001 maybe less

So we had this last night with a prime ribeye. Much more civilized than Rancia at this age was from earlier eras with a nice nose and palate but still a bit tannic. Still feels more blocky than what I’m really looking for. I think Felsina always seems a bit rustic to me and I always seem to want to like it more than I actually do. Will be trying the whole current line-up next week so will get a chance to re-assess.

After we finished the bottle we had a glass of 2016 Monteraponi which my wife liked more and I liked quite a bit. There was more suaveness to the texture.

Much more civilized than Rancia at this age was from earlier eras

Anyone know when and the reason?

David, i’ll Try to get a note together later, but I am drinking the 04 as I type, it has all the makings of a classic Rancia, structured to the hilt with a gorgeous fruit profile of muscular cassis. More to come later.