TN: 2010 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Fontalloro (Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT)

I’ve only had the 07 Fontalloro once, about two years ago. I remember being disappointed, but I was getting over a cold so it could have been me. I’ve been seeing Bob Hughes post some notes on the 07 recently. It seems like it might be ready, but I am leaning towards holding for a while because I only have one bottle left.

I love this board because of threads like this. Now I know that My money is much better spent on the ‘lesser’ CCR and Rancia than the Colonia. Such a win! Felsina is one of my favorite producers because of the rancia, fontolloro, and CCR. I am curious about the Maestro Raro though…!

Big Felsina fan but have never been enamored by the Maestro Raro. Tannins always seemed harsh in addition to the fact I don’t look to Italy for CS.

Agree with Kelly. The Maestro Raro always seemed overdone to me.

I’m just saving all kinds of heartache on this thread. Rancia for everyone!

No!!!

All your Rancia is belong to us!!!

Watch out for Pagliarese. Felsina own this neigbouring estate (and Farnetella in Colli Senesi where half the fruit for Fontalloro comes from). Until 2014 the fruit of Pagliarese was mixed into the wines from Felsina, but no longer from 2015 when the fruit is sold under the estate name. But still owned and made by Felsina. Pagliarese is a bit higher in altitude and airier in style than Felsina. Besides Sangiovese they mix some canaiolo and mammolo in the blend.

Jurgen Steinke wrote:
Slightly off topic but I tasted the 2016 normale recently and was very impressed. Amongst the best CC I had. And I had many.

We had a bottle of this last evening and completed agree. This is a great value for $20.

Ed

Jurgen, This is good to hear as this wine is always around and priced to take home without regret. By chance did you always sample the Reserva, Rancia, and Fontalloro, and if so, hat were your impressions.

BTW - Galloni just lobbed a 97 of the 15 Rancia, haven’t bought any yet but usually by it or the Fontalloro in most years.

1 Like

Anyone had the 2010 Rancia lately?

I’m a bit of a Felsina geek, has anyone tried the 2 sparkling wines? I love them. I assume they are hard to fine.

For me Rancia and Fontalloro are equal.

Does the barrel spice of the Fontalloro that I experienced with the '11 age out and make the wine a bit more elegant?

Great thread. I’m visiting Fèlsina in May so this helps a ton. Does anyone know if there’s a major pricing advantage to buying directly at Fèlsina if possible at all?

From magnum 4 moths ago
Fantastic.
Young Rancia used to be almost as hard to come near in its youth as Fontalloro. Required at least 20 years.
But this was so delicious, balanced and oozing of Sangioves in its cleanest appearance. Maybe they changed winemaking?
The 2015 will be really awesome too

In the last year I have had the 90, 94 and 95, and all have been fantastic. Dare I say even “elegant”? The 94 in particular was a stunner, given the age and vintage.

IMHO Fontalloro is one of the great values in Italy, and even the world. Can outclass and outlive brunellos at a fraction of the price.

Agree about the 94.

Agreed
I have some 1985 and 1988
Both very young, especially 1988 off course

I was intrigued, so I have purchased Pagliarese the last two years, but I have yet to try one.

Curious to know if anyone has tried the Pagliarese and the Felsina CC side-by-side?

Not the CC side-by-side. I have tasted the Rancia 2015 side-by-side with Pagliarese CCR 2015. I sell these, so I will not comment on quality, but Berardenga always has a lot of tobacco-notes in the Chianti. Felsina always shows a lot of this. Pagliarese is more airy, more red fruit. Perhaps less Berardenga character.

Great, thank you. Very helpful. I have a few bottles of both the Pagliarese CC and CCR. Looking forward to trying both.