TN: 2010 Faiveley Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées

• 2010 Faiveley Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (12/15/2012)
    The nose offers up freshly grated ginger, purple flowers, cola and macerated cherries. It is rich with creamy cherry fruits in the mouth. There is good rocky detail just below the surface and the wine builds right through the palate finishing clean and precise. It is modern Faiveley, without a hair out of place but has terrific material and balance and I suspect it will be fabulous in a decade or two.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Jeremy,

I really like this bottling from Barthod and Mugnier, but have never encountered the Faiveley. I’m not sure whether the new regimen is to my liking, so do you feel it’s an improvement over the days of yore?

Not an improvement Mike but the wines are still vey good in a more sleek and modern way.

The 99 Fuees from Faiveley is a stand out…so textural and silky even under the old regime.

Re: TN: 2010 Faiveley Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées
Post Number:#3 by Jeremy Holmes » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:12 pm
Not an improvement Mike but the wines are still vey good in a more sleek and modern way.

Not an improvement ? You must be joking? The new wines from Faiveley are in a completely other league than the old ones. Old Faiveley are rough wines in need of 20 years+ to become civilized. Now we are talking elegance and balance from day one.That goes for every single wine in their portfolio. It is amazing how consistent the wines are.

Did Faiveley make a single bad wine in 2010? Man, they are on a roll.
I’ve had 5 different 2010’s, all excellent.

Thanks for the note - yet another one I need to try!

The super bargain is Pommard Rugiens 2010.

The old Faiveley Fuees and Combe D’Orveaux( I do not share Hans’ view) are among the great unsung treasures of the wine world. I have some but will buy at any opportunity at even half reasonable prices.

Hans, I share your liking for ‘new model’ Faiveley but I do like the old version. They do take 20+ years to come around but are sensational when they finally unfurl.

I have limited experience with older faiveley (a few 83 and a few 88). I’ve liked what I had. I’m drinking the 2010 village gevrey right now. I bought the exchezeaux and the CdB cuvee Rodin 60 ouvres, and figured I’d pop one at the village level to see what these are like. I have to say, this is incredibly forward and modern in a way that is totally different than any 2010 I’ve experienced. It doesn’t have that streak of acidity running through it like most of the 2010s I’ve had. It is delicious and I’m really enjoying it, but I wouldn’t begin to predict what will happen to this over the long term. Again, nothing wrong with it, but certainly dissimilar to other 2010s I’ve been popping.
A

Thanks Jeremy,

I have a few assorted '10 Faiveleys up and ready for Xmas, so will see how they go then…

I have two bottles of 1999 Mugnier “Les Fuees.” Will probably open one in 2014.

Thanks all,

A split decision then, albeit fairly slanted towards the past. Again that Combe d’Orveau… I love that vineyard and buy it every year from Clavelier and Grivot. I even like it from Perrot-Minot and would buy the Gros if it weren’t so overpriced. I understand Mugnier also has a significant portion of it in his village…Guess what? Love that too… sorry for the thread drift.

I had tried an 2002 Fuees few years ago. But it looked hard as nails and unyeilding. May be it was too young.
I have found some Gevreys (eg '96 CdBeze, '99 Latrieres and Mazis) under the old guard too rustic and tight.
Compared to Rousseau which are more or less always enjoyable from get go, Faiveleys were tight as drum.

Those wines would certainly not be approachable now, Sanjay. You need to look to 91,92, 93(surprisingly)94(a superb result here)and 97. They certainly don’t behave like Rousseau’s wines.
I am not one of those who think it’s possible for the best wines to be accessible at all ages, and in fact even the new style Faiveley wines will close, as their 2006s are doing.

2006 are extracted the same way as old style. The only difference is new barrel provider. Francois Freres instead of Remond. The new style is from 2007. The wines from 2006 are tight and undrinkable for the moment whereas wines from 2007 and onward are open. There is nothing that says that the balanced new style wines shouldn´t age as well as the old style. If a bowling ball has the right direction from the beginning it is more likely to make a strike than if it is out of alignment. [cheers.gif]

Your analogy is peculiar to say the least. Hans. if we know one thing about Burgundy it’s that it doesn’t go in straight lines!
All red burgundy closes, it’s just a question of when.

I am not sure about that. 2007 is in the most cases an open vintage. I just can not see the point of making wines who are closed for 20 years or more. Do you live for ever? If you taste Faiveley 2005 it is like drinking liquid metal and will need, maybe even 30 years to come around.Returning to Rousseau, the wines are more or less open from beginning to the end and they have no problems with ageability. The most problems with ageing is when the fruit is too ripe. Neighter Faiveley (new style) or Rousseau are made in a very ripe style.

Hope to see some notes, I have bought a number of the Faively 10s, so interested in what you think.
Cheers

I’ve a '10 Mazi and a Clos des Corton ready to go, will post in a week or so…