TN: 2009 Vietti Dolcetto d'Alba Tre Vigne (Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Dolcetto d'Alba)

Not a bad wine, but I was hoping for something different. This was extracted and aiming for structure. Refreshing and light on its feet was more my hope.

Seems like a few years of aging should help this unwind, but will it develop?

• 2009 Vietti Dolcetto d’Alba Tre Vigne - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Dolcetto d’Alba (5/21/2011)
    Felt very young, tightly wound. Grapey fruit with a bit of graham cracker. Tannins pronounced, but not astringent. Good acidity. I think this needs a couple years on its side. The extraction and overall structure seem to ask for a bit of age. Does seem to show some oak, though I’m not sure how much time it spent in barrel. (85 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds very similar to my recent experience with this wine. The Welch’s grape flavor came through too strong for me. Have had other Vietti red wines that have impressed me.

Yeah, the approach just seems mismatched with the character of the grape. I’ve enjoyed Perbacco Nebbiolo, and producer reputation is excellent. But house style and grape just don’t mesh I guess.

I suspect it may need a bit more time to settle down. I had both 08 Tre Vigne bottlings recently – Alba and Asti – and they both showed well and were popular with the group.

I’ve always thought they did a nice job of these, with a kiss of oak, but not so much that it’s prominent. FYI, the Vietti web site. says that the wine is aged in a mix of big Slovenian oak tanks, barriques and steel.