TN: 2009 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut (France, Champagne)

2009 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (5/8/2024)
A little post B-Day, hangin out poolside, smokin some ribs, just the wife and I...I think a Magnum will do! First thing you notice is how balanced and youthful this is right out the gate! Creamy and calm...engaging...yet piercing tartness of lemon and tangerine squeeze livens...gorgeous pitted orchard fruits with some honey and salt sprinkled on top...sour tarts stand at attention...ginger spice and hazelnut mousse fills the mouth...perfect nuanced brioche lees and almond liqueur add to the pleasing senses...reminds me of the beautifully complete and amazing 2002...just a little more laid back and cruising at lower rpm's...a stroll through the countryside, top down, and not a care in the world! Lovely wine! (96 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

10 Likes

The 2009 seems to have been overshadowed by the glory of the 2008 and 2012. But I’m glad that I have some. Nice report.

2 Likes

So, I’ve had this several times and I kind of feel like you just went through the Rolodex of possible Champagne descriptors and picked them all. :joy: TBH, this is a fine Champagne (any Cristal is a good Cristal), but not very complex for my palate and I would be hard pressed to taste almost any of the plethora of sensations you outlined. Every time I drink it I ask myself why I’m not drinking 02/08/12/13…

1 Like

Nah…I’ve got plenty more descriptors to use…I went lite here!:clinking_glasses:

I actually really like the 09, quite a bit more than the 12 and 02 atm.

A magnum of cirstal for you and your wife hanging by the pool. I mean…does life get any better?? :cheers:

And hope you had a great Bday Buzz!

1 Like

Btw the last time I had 09 Cristal from mag it was pretty tight, but that was maybe 18 mo ago.