TN: 2009 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru 150 Anniversary

Pour a 750 into two 375s, then send one to Nick. Open and drink on the same day. Good experiment!

Ian, that sounds good to me.

I’m extremely sensitive to oxidation so I’d have to be the one to open the bottle. Even poured into a 375 kills it for me the next day. Even if I did the shipping, if you didn’t like it and I did I could always blame it on the O2. :slight_smile: This is probably only a debate that can be resolved on the same table at the same time.

It doesn’t resemble anything like Beaujolais to me. I am surprised that you didn’t give the wine benefit of doubt. [wow.gif]

The three bottles drunk within a week of each other was sufficient to form an opinion that we are not dealing with serious bottle variation. The wines were light, fragrant, pleasant and had practically no Burgundy character and very little Pinot. There was also almost nothing in the wine to suggest that it would age for any length of time, the structure was slight and very tame; the tannins resolved and the fruit character quite tooty fruity. That being said, they worked beautifully with duck. But at $40, there are plenty of much better wines even Burgundies around.

Actually, it is the right time to be drinking a Jadot wine that is only three years old. neener On the other hand, you are correct that it probably is not a great time to be drinking a Jadot 2009 if you want to enjoy it.

Well, if you insert the cork all the way into the 375, ship 1- or 2-day, in a 2009, there really shouldn’t be much oxidation. Possibly a smidgen of development. I you and Otto don’t drink at approximately the same time after initial opening, the comparison suffers.

I have a hard time imagining that Jadot would issue a special 150 Anniversary bottle, made up of select lots from their Beaune 1ers, that wouldn’t be at least on a par with their Ursules, albeit without the precise terroir link that Ursules enjoys. Possibly I’m naive, and this release is just a shabby marketing ploy, but Jadot seems genuinely concerned about their reputation for quality (in red wines, at least). Jadot fans tend to emphasize the age-worthiness of these wines, and I suspect it is just too early to judge this one.

Well, more for me. Just ordered a 6-pack at $39.99 a bottle. :slight_smile:

Nick–I’m contemplating sharing a bottle tomorrow. I keep waffling though (I only bought three; I guess I could get more).

Not sure what’s wrong with everybody. I had this wine over two days this weekend. It’s a very repectable midweight beaune from a ripe vintage. It has minerals and beaune-like structure, with nice balance. It will be a very nice wine to have with a bird in 10-12 years, and will probably gain a little weight over that time. I don’t get the concerns. It’s not Ursules or clos des mouches, and it’s not a cote de Nuits wine, but it’s not intended to be. There is a place for wines like this in your cellar. My only issue is that I prefer, as has been mentioned, 2008 and 2010, and, for the same price, I would likely prefer a SLB.