TN: 2009 Heinrich Mayr (Nusserhof) Lagrein Alto Adige - Südtirol Riserva

• 2009 Heinrich Mayr (Nusserhof) Lagrein Alto Adige - Südtirol Riserva - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Alto Adige - Südtirol (1/20/2015)
    This was a real treat! I have no experience with either the grape or producer, and as a result had no idea what to expect. The color was dark purple and inky, which suggested a full bodied wine. It was surprising then when neither the nose nor the palate matched the expectation from the color. Floral and dusty red berries were present on the nose, but the primary theme of both the nose and palate was a distinct note of beef broth. I’ve experienced notes of beef broth in wines before, but this was the most distinctive brothiness I’ve ever noticed in a wine. It was very distinct and complemented the pure cranberry and blackberry fruits on the palate along with a healthy dose of something wild like animal fur (if that’s meaningful in any way). Dusty tannins and decently high acidity frame the fruit and savory flavors and create a nice package and quite a surprise. A singular wine, no doubt!

Posted from CellarTracker