TN: 2009 Grey Stack Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Rosemary's Block

Lovely, very bright, lemon and melon nose. Where this wine shows its strength though is in the mouth. Wonderful mouth feel which I find unusual in a SB, not quite oily but a weight and texture to it . Substantial and rich wine that has enough bright acid to balance it beautifully. Nice finish. Does this have a bit of RS?? What do people think of its aging possibility? I like SB with some age but I worry that the hands off winemaking might lead to instability. Of course I could be FOS.

One of the best young CA SBs I’ve had. I have trouble forking over $25 for a CA SB but this one is worth it. Lovely with some plain grilled salmon on night two. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I tasted another vintage with Mr. Bevan a couple of years back. Have to agree, it’s [welldone.gif]

Past vintages have aged quite well. I have not had this yet. I have some that I have been meaning to open, so I will try a bottle soon of the 09. It has been my favorite Cal SB along with Cliff Lede.

Interesting note about it being cloudy. When i got mine, I thought that also from looking thru the bottle, so I did not open one right away.

Actually, 99% sure Russell did not make the 09. I think he crushed the 08, and that was the end of it. Haven’t tasted the 09 yet. Hoping for good things! Love this wine!

Nice note.
Been pretty good run for this one the past few years.
The '07 was off the charts, and '08 quite nice.
Have not had the '09 yet.
For this quality, $25 is a deal imo.
Thanks for the heads up on the 2009.

Both of my bottles are cloudy and most of the CT TNs call it anywhere from slightly to quite cloudy. The back label actually mentions the haziness.

One CT reviewer notes the use of a glass closure. I’m assuming that he is mistaken and was actually drinking an 08. Mine certainly had a regular cork.

Actually I think an email from them said they bottled something like 70 cases with the glass closures and shipped those out first. I ordered soon after and both my cases are glass closure.

Cheers,
James

The website does not list Bevan in any role. Winemakers are Pat Sullivan and Randall Watkins.

As to the haze and the aging question, they website says:

Bottled unfined unfiltered to preserve its fresh character, this wine should be kept cool and consumed in the next 12 months.

Did they say why they changed?

I have already consumed a six pack (under cork) of this since the spring and I think love it. Here is my note:

• 2009 Grey Stack Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Rosemary’s Block - USA, California, North Coast, Bennett Valley (5/7/2010)
    Slighly hazy, pale color. Wow, explosive nose of grapefruit, pear, apricot, fuji apple and a bit of cut grass. The palate echoes those notes with refreshing acidity, great mouthfeel and a finish that goes on and on. This is a great SB, very unique.

Posted from CellarTracker

I tracked down the email from Peter. Here’s what he had to say:
“2009 Rosemary’s Block Sauvignon Blanc - 690 cases - Retail $28, Club $27, Release $26
We literally put this in the bottle yesterday and I am happy to say we have another great vintage of Rosemary’s Block. Classic notes of grapefruit and passion fruit wrapped in a silken textured mouthfeel. With fewer cases this year (due to low yields) and our distributors clamoring for all they can get, we expect the ’09 Rosemary’s Block to sell out very quickly. The bulk of this vintage has a traditional cork finish due to a problem with our bottle supplier. However, we were able to secure the last 63 cases of bottles and stoppers in existence and we have reserved them for our favorite people – you! They will go out on a first come, first serve basis. We are working on being able to return to the glass stopper closure for the 2010 vintage.”